towing behind rv

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

impireui

towing behind rv

Postby impireui » Mon May 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Ok so Im new here hopefully this is in the right spot. I have a 2003 se 2wd v6 automatic transmission. I want to tow this behind my rv ive heard 10 different things from 10 different mechanics 4 of which are nissan mechanics.

Can I tow this with all 4 wheels on the ground during road trips or do i have to back it onto a tow dolly and have the front wheels on the ground?.
My preference is to have all 4 on the ground for stability ive been told i can drop the drive train and tow it however i want by a few ppl but other have said no some have said put it in neutral lock the steering and go.... Has anyone come across this situation can someone please enlighten me on this before i spend a ton of money.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Here is the deal. You will need to either put it on a flat bed trailer or have a shop help you disengage the rear drive shaft. Some vehicles come with a neutral selection in their 4x4 systems which allow for towing. A good example is many of the Jeeps have a neutral position on the transfercase. Where you are only 2wd you will not have this opition and will need to remove the rear drive shaft. The reasoning behind this is if you load the rear end on a dolly and tow the front, you are allowing the steering wheels to have contact with the pavement. yes you can leave the ignition off but will cause extra wear on the rack and pinion and could possibly break/damage the locking mechanism. This could lead to the front wheels being allowed to move freely and cause you to sway back and forth.

Hope this helps.

Return to “General Automotive”