Start up Sounds (or lack thereof)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Start up Sounds (or lack thereof)

Postby AZ_Path » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 am

So normally when I start the Pathfinder up when the engine is cold there is a noticeable roar which sounds like fans starting up. It happens for 1-2 seconds at the start and then the sound level drops down to what you would expect at idle. This sound is most obvious when the engine is cold. If it's warm, you won't hear as much of a roar. It's been this way for the past three years.

However, recently I've noticed that during a cold start, the roar I would normally hear isn't happening. Everything seems to be running fine, but the sound on start up is definitely different and sounds as if something doesn't have enough power. Anyone know what I'm referring to? Is the sound I'm hearing a fan blade revving up?

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Sounds like the mechanical fan clutch. Spin the plastic fan by hand. It it stops in about a turn, it's probably fine. I notice the longer the PF sits, the louder it roars when it starts.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:38 pm

08Datsun wrote:I notice the longer the PF sits, the louder it roars when it starts.
I've noticed the same thing. I wonder why? I assume it has to do with engine temp.

I tried to spin the fan as you suggested. It's hard to get my hand in there, but I was able to give it a push with my finger tips. I'd say it spins about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn before stopping.

It could be that with the higher temps of the summer and my garage being hotter that it doesn't rotate as fast on start-up because the engine is already somewhat warm. I just figured that the engine operating temp is still much higher than my garage temp (150?) that it would still be a "cold start" as far as the engine is concerned. Maybe not.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:58 pm

The way it was described to me, is the silicone fluid in the clutch falls out of place when its not running. The longer the car sets, the more it has to get back in place when you start it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”