'05 Pathfinder starting slow

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

plchtown

'05 Pathfinder starting slow

Postby plchtown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:31 am

Given my ineptness of vehicle interworkings, I thought I'd post on this site. For the last couple of months my '05 Pathfinder has been slow to start. It's not a battery issue, as I recently had this replaced. The truck turns over fine, but some mornings (this usually happens in the morning after truck has been off for a considerable time) it takes a while for it to fire up after cranking it. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it other than after it has been off for several hours. Wondering what could be "going bad" - is it the spark plugs? Is it related to the fuel pump? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I hate to take it to a shop/dealer so they can do "exploratory" things that may not solve it.

Thanks,

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Have you looked at the connection points? Check for corrosion at the battery terminals, check for rust at the positive line for the starter. Sounds like lack of connectivity.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:00 am

Could be a leaky injector. Have you run any injector cleaner through it lately?

I recommend Lucas Oil upper cylinder lubricant. It goes in the gas tank. I've had really good experiences with this product.

t

The_David

Postby The_David » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:10 am

Could it be the IPDM/ECM relay?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:13 am

The_David wrote:Could it be the IPDM/ECM relay?
He didn't mention any stalling issues.

dawgn86

Re: '05 Pathfinder starting slow

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:37 am

plchtown wrote:Given my ineptness of vehicle interworkings, I thought I'd post on this site. For the last couple of months my '05 Pathfinder has been slow to start. It's not a battery issue, as I recently had this replaced. The truck turns over fine, but some mornings (this usually happens in the morning after truck has been off for a considerable time) it takes a while for it to fire up after cranking it. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it other than after it has been off for several hours. Wondering what could be "going bad" - is it the spark plugs? Is it related to the fuel pump? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I hate to take it to a shop/dealer so they can do "exploratory" things that may not solve it.

Thanks,
My 06' Pathfinder did something very similar...and when checking out my battery, I noticed 3 of the cells were bone dry. I added water, charged the battery overnight and this fixed mine.

plchtown

Postby plchtown » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 am

Sorry it's been a while since I posted, but I actually recently got the problem figured out and repaired. Turns out my issue of slow starting was due to a bad fuel pump (or it was going bad). I ended up taking to the dealership for diagnosis and they concluded that the fuel pump wasn't holding pressure as it should. This explains that the cold starts it would be slow, but on "warm" starts it would be ok and start normally. I guess the Pathfinder is a rather complicated repair because it cost $850.

Now, if I could just figure out my TPMS issue. Light comes on steady (without an audible indicator) after about 30 minutes of highway driving. Tire pressure is fine. Turn the vehicle off and it resets and stays off, until you drive another 30 minutes. Bad sensor?

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 pm

plchtown wrote:snip... I guess the Pathfinder is a rather complicated repair because it cost $850.... snip
i think they have to drain and drop the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump.

~mike

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”