What's the procedure for getting a new key and keyless fob?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

phorty

What's the procedure for getting a new key and keyless fob?

Postby phorty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey folks,
The 2005 Pathfinder I just bought came with one key and a key fob for the aftermarket remote start system that is installed - no regular OEM keyless entry fob was included. I would like to get an additional key (or two) and at least one OEM keyless entry remote. How do I go about doing this? Do they both have to be programmed? Thanks!

hotmix81

Postby hotmix81 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 pm

The key does have to be programmed. I think Nissan dealers usually charge around 60.00 to do this. I am not sure if it is something that can be done on your own, but if so I am sure someone here will chime in with how to do it yourself. As for the Key and Key Fob I purchased them both off EBAY, and saved a great deal of money especially on the fob. I got it for like 9.95 brand new! Hope that helps.

phorty

Postby phorty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:00 pm

That does help thanks! Based on my Ebay search, it looks like the FOB's didn't come with a trunk release, just the lock, unlock and panic? Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NE ... 20bbffdd0c

Good news, some local guy does this out of the house and wants a pretty penny to do it.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Make sure the numbers on the back of the FOBs match. They all need to match to work. The key will need to be programed, but you can do the FOB programming yourself.

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard
Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder
each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press
the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming
procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side
power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should
flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

phorty

Postby phorty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 pm

volvite wrote:IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.
This worries me a bit. Will I loose the programming on the aftermarket remote starter that I have? I don't want to disable that

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Your aftermarket remote start, does it do anything besides start the vehicle? Meaning, do you have two remotes, one to unlock/lock the doors, and one to start the vehicle?

phorty

Postby phorty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 am

volvite wrote:Your aftermarket remote start, does it do anything besides start the vehicle? Meaning, do you have two remotes, one to unlock/lock the doors, and one to start the vehicle?
Yes, it also locks and unlocks the doors in addition to starting the vehicle.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:24 pm

I can't help you on that. It's an aftermarket system which will require different programing then the stcok FOB. Did it come with the vehicle when you bought it, or something you added?

phorty

Postby phorty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:17 pm

volvite wrote:I can't help you on that. It's an aftermarket system which will require different programing then the stcok FOB. Did it come with the vehicle when you bought it, or something you added?
Yes, it came with it. All I got with the vehicle was one Nissan key and the aftermarket remote start FOB.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 pm

I'd take it to a local alarm/audio shop for cars and see if they can do anything on ordering another FOB. The key will probably have to be reprogrammed at the Dealer. You can buy an uncut key online, but then have the chip and cut programed at your dealer.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:52 am

Depending on how the starter was installed, your immobilizer is bypassed using either an approved method, or a 'jig-a-boo' method. Our keys have chips in them that have to be within a certain proximity of the steering column to allow the vehicle to start. Bad remote starter installers will often take the second key and tape it under the dash or other location that works to avoid having to purchase the by-pass module that is required to ensure you don't lose the functionality of the immobilizer when your not using your remote start.

Best thing for you to do would be to take the truck to a reputable remote starter installer. Have them look at it and see if it was 'jig-a-booed', or actually installed properly.

If your immobilizer is disabled, and you are fine with that, then there would be nothing stopping you from getting a valet key cut and use that as your second key. The fobs are pretty inexpensive at the dealer as well, and I've seen them online before. Buyer beware, and also be aware that Nissan has changed part numbers for the fob over the years, and not necessarily in line with model year changes. When I got my replacement fob, they needed to know my VIN so they could get the right one in. Pretty sure the fob and programming cost me about $75.

You could also look into buying a second remote for your car starter, often available on ebay. You'd have better luck getting this right over ebay than getting a nissan fob.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

t

phorty

Postby phorty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:36 am

disallow wrote:Depending on how the starter was installed, your immobilizer is bypassed using either an approved method, or a 'jig-a-boo' method. Our keys have chips in them that have to be within a certain proximity of the steering column to allow the vehicle to start. Bad remote starter installers will often take the second key and tape it under the dash or other location that works to avoid having to purchase the by-pass module that is required to ensure you don't lose the functionality of the immobilizer when your not using your remote start.

Best thing for you to do would be to take the truck to a reputable remote starter installer. Have them look at it and see if it was 'jig-a-booed', or actually installed properly.

If your immobilizer is disabled, and you are fine with that, then there would be nothing stopping you from getting a valet key cut and use that as your second key. The fobs are pretty inexpensive at the dealer as well, and I've seen them online before. Buyer beware, and also be aware that Nissan has changed part numbers for the fob over the years, and not necessarily in line with model year changes. When I got my replacement fob, they needed to know my VIN so they could get the right one in. Pretty sure the fob and programming cost me about $75.

You could also look into buying a second remote for your car starter, often available on ebay. You'd have better luck getting this right over ebay than getting a nissan fob.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

t
That is some really good info, thanks! I'm curious if there is another key hidden in the dash somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised.

Does it make any difference if it was rigged that way or immobilized the right way? Can I still just get a new key cut and programmed? And will programming an OEM FOB erase the remote starter FOB?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 am

I'd be careful. I can't remember if they have to reprogram all of the keys when you get a new one. If they do, then the one that is taped to the underside of your dash would be wrong, and your remote start wouldn't work anymore.

Find out from the dealer if they program the new key to match the old ones, or if they reprogram all of them before you do anything.

You also really need to know how your remote starter is rigged.

Once you know both of those pieces of info, the path forward should be clear.

t

phorty

Postby phorty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 am

disallow wrote:I'd be careful. I can't remember if they have to reprogram all of the keys when you get a new one. If they do, then the one that is taped to the underside of your dash would be wrong, and your remote start wouldn't work anymore.
Well then I'll just make an extra key and put it in the dash somewhere! My dash will be filled with hidden keys haha

I have to take the car to the dealer anyway to try and get them to service the fuel sensor recall so I'll bring up the key/FOB stuff then.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:19 am

Note that if it ever gets stolen and the immobilizer is disabled, you might not be covered...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”