A/C Question

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

gators_2006

A/C Question

Postby gators_2006 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 am

My 2007 PF is having some a/c issues. If it is cool outside, it has no issues what so ever. If it is hot outside and it's sitting there at an idle, it blows warm until you start to move. Once you go a couple hundred feet, it starts to blow ice cold again. As long as you're moving, it's cold, once you stop, it's warm. This only happens on days that are above 90 or so. Any suggestions.

ibwahooka

Postby ibwahooka » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:23 am

I'm no A/C guy, but to me it seems that something is loose in your A/C. It could be something as simple as a bad seal somewhere. I know that depending on your location, you can purchase the dye to put into the A/C to show any potential leaks in the system. That's about the only thing I could think of.

gators_2006

Postby gators_2006 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 pm

I dumped a can in it and it had no effect. I haven't been able to get a hold of a pressure gauge let to check the exact pressure but the compressor is still coming on and off like it should. I know on other vehicles in the past I've had, the lower the level, the more frequent it would cycle. I've also changed the in cab filters just to start eliminating things. I'm in North Fl, so when I say "it's hot outside" I mean it's hot.

ibwahooka

Postby ibwahooka » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 pm

It could be something to do with the fans in your vehicle. If it only does it while you are idling, something in your vehicle is draining power/not running that is causing the A/C to not work. If you can get a hold of an OBCII computer, that might help. See if there are any codes popping up on your vehicle that could help identify the problem.

I'm in Georgia, I feel your pain.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

it's the fan clutch. i had the same issue, make sure you get a oem one the aftermarket is loud as hell. the way they check it is by running the truck and using a shop towel to see if it will stop the fan. don't touch the fan with fingers or hand.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:57 pm

With your vehicle in park, check to see if your electric fan is working when you have the a/c on. Any time the a/c is on your electric fan should be running. If not, then your a/c will not perform and not cool, hence when at idle you are not getting cool air only when driving as air is moving through the a/c condensor. If the fan is not working, it could be a fuse, relay or bad fan motor. If it works, then I would check the pressure. There is a happy medium where the amout of R134 should be. Too much, there's not enough room in the system to cool the coolant, too little it won't be able to keep up with your demand of cool air. Finally I'd look at your fan clutch. It might not be engaging as soon as it should.

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 am

With regards to the pressure test gauge . I bought one of the refill kits - I thing from Walmart and it had a gauge in the kit - simple to connect and read, then fill as required.

gators_2006

Postby gators_2006 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 am

Electric fan is not on when a/c is on. How would I test to see if it's a relay or if the motor is bad. I unplugged it and there's four pins in the plug. Thanks for the help guys.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm

The a/c fan comes on at different intervals. i too thought it was the problem so i changed the fan and it did the same thing. try the clutch fan test with a rag and you will see for sure.

gators_2006

Postby gators_2006 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 pm

It does need a fan clutch I found out. With the motor running and warm (30min ride) I can grab the fan and stop it with no force. I can also easily spin it in the reverse direction after I stop it. Cold or hot, there is next to no resistance.

The electric fan doesn't come on at all. With the motor cold ( not driven all day, 16 hrs since last driven) it did not come on when the a/c was on. I took a stick and reached in and hit the back of the fan and it can on. ICE COLD A/C FINALLY at an idle. Shut the pathy off, restarted and no fan, bump it on the back like a hung up starter and on it goes.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm

So with reaching in and hitting it with a stick, sounds like the problem is the fan motor. There's probably a short or bad connection on the plug. I'd take the fan out, and run a test on the fan. Use leads from your battery to test and see if it engages. If it works fine, then I'd test the plug with the vehicle on and a simple lightbulb voltage tester. Let us know what you find out.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”