AirLift 1000 Ordered

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

ColoradoPath

AirLift 1000 Ordered

Postby ColoradoPath » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:17 am

Just ordered my Airlift 1000 bags. I do occasionally tow about 4000-5000 lbs with a WDH/Equalizer hitch. It keeps it pretty level, but I'd like to stiffen up the back end some.

I know a lot of you are running these bags and love them. Any suggestions on do's and don'ts relating to the install and air pressures to run after install?

Thanks! :D

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:41 am

Install is pretty straight forward. I mounted the air valve inside so it doesn't get dirty/salty. I run about 15psi empty and it helps a lot with handling. I even recently left it at that for towing and it felt pretty good. Best bang-for-the-buck mod IMHO.

Baedarlboo

Postby Baedarlboo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 am

I have mine running as individual bags (did not use the T-fitting), but left the lines long enough to connect them later as an option. I would have tested both setups, but it started to rain as I was wrapping up. The Pathy feels much better in turns and accelerating from a stop. I have mine set right now to 12 psi.

Tips:

1, Connect the line to the bag first before squeezing it into the springs. If you do one side at a time, you can run the line and make the cut before it's time to do the other side.

2. Blow it (max air pressure) up before you drop the truck back down so the bag can set (and check for leaks). Once dropped let most of the air out, drive around the block, then air it back up to your liking.

3. Have more zip-ties ready as the 6 they provide wasn't enough (at least for me).

4. Have some safety glasses on as dirt in the eye is not fun.

5. Always remember safety. Use jack stands, e-brake, chocks....ect ect.
I don't want to hear about a pathy owner in the hospital (or 6 feet under) because they got pancaked by the truck.

6. Test drive and enjoy. Pop a beer open and enjoy your work (at home of course).

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Had truck and utility trailer loaded up with shingles last night. All I can say is thank god for the air lift. i would have been totally bottomed out if it wasn't for this...

14 x 75lbs bundles of shingles in the back
2 rolls of 50lb tar paper

Plus I had my utility trailer hooked up with about the same load.

She felt a little heavy on the way home....

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:26 am

disallow wrote:Had truck and utility trailer loaded up with shingles last night. All I can say is thank god for the air lift. i would have been totally bottomed out if it wasn't for this...

t
Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. .

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:03 am

disallow wrote:Had truck and utility trailer loaded up with shingles last night. All I can say is thank god for the air lift. i would have been totally bottomed out if it wasn't for this...

t

So you had 1000+lbs in the cabin? Plus, the same on the trailer? I am not going to lie, that is PRETTY IMPRESSIVE. How much PSI were you running on the bags?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it... I only had to drive 6 miles like this. It was squatted down pretty good.Shoulda taken a pic, but it was dark...

Bags were at 35-40psi.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Well, I put mine in today. Was easy enough. I did the same as Baedarlboo. I ran two lines and drilled two holes next to my 7Pin on the same bracket. Fits nicely. I have some picks that I would like to post just got to figure out how. I'm also running 12psi and it makes a difference in starts and turns. I love the way it handles right now.

My advice is to follow the directions and take off the tires when you do it. It makes a world of difference and I was able to shove the bag in without any tools. Watch the video on U-Tube and you will see how easy it is. I had to flatten the bag first and then folded it in half. The spring is huge and has a lot of clearance. :wink:

Good Luck and congratulations to your choice in buying the AirLift 1000. :D

Oly 22

where to install the values

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:53 pm

After reading a number of posts on an air bag lift kit and since I do tow, I will be ordering a lift kit. I have only seen a couple of pictures showing where the values have been located and installed. Not sure I want to install them under the rear fender and I do not have a 7 pin adapter and plate to mount them too. I am looking for ideas and pictures, can anyone help?

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 pm

I made a bracket and put them in a pocket of the drivers side frame rail. I don't have any pictures posted of this. I figure out how to post some if you would like. Pretty easy to install. I would not recommend using the T connector they put in the box. Run them independently and you should have better performance out of them. I have mine set at 12 psi for everyday driving. Got rid of a lot of body roll and evened out the 2" lift with the rancho spacers.

gond34

Postby gond34 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 am

I made a "neat" little bracket that I mounted to the existing screw on the bottom of the rear bumper just to the left of the hitch. Drilled two holes in it and ran both lines to it (I didn't install the "T"; I've got each bag on a separate line).

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 am

Not sure if you followed my post a year or two ago, but I mounted the valves inside under the rear cargo floor. Keeps them clean and pretty easy to get to. Just don't fill up your cargo area and then try to fill them...but you're supposed to air these up before putting a load on them anyway.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:59 pm

All really good ideas, I guess i'll walk around the truck for awhile and plan it out. Most likely with a beer. :D

Thanks to all.

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:30 am

I am getting ready to drop some of these in My Black Beauty but my only worry is I do have an extended warranty. do you think these would pose any issue if I had a suspension related issue that needed to come in for warranty?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Vividcard wrote:I am getting ready to drop some of these in My Black Beauty but my only worry is I do have an extended warranty. do you think these would pose any issue if I had a suspension related issue that needed to come in for warranty?
i can't imagine these really causing any problems or being blamed for any problems. i have the nissan extended warranty and i'm not worried at all about it.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”