Bleeding brake system

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

dawgn86

Bleeding brake system

Postby dawgn86 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Is there a write up on here on how to bleed the brake system?

06 PF, 2wd, automatic

Thx

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 am

I am not sure if it is any different than any other truck. pump it up. open the bleeder. let it sink to the floor. close the bleeder. repeat until all air is removed. just start at the right rear, left rear, right front, left front. I hope this helps you out.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:45 am

HillbillyJake wrote:I am not sure if it is any different than any other truck. pump it up. open the bleeder. let it sink to the floor. close the bleeder. repeat until all air is removed. just start at the right rear, left rear, right front, left front. I hope this helps you out.
Hillbilly..thanks for the response

looking on the service manual found on this site, it says to attach a clear vinyl hose to the bleeder screw...should the end of this hose be inside a bottle of brake fluid to prevent any air from coming back in? does the cap on the brake fluid resevoir be taken off?

Thanks

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 am

On the DIY scale this is not that difficult a job, but it sounds like this will be your first time. Since this is a two person job, might I suggest, you have an experienced helper with you on the first go around.

You should capture the fluid as it is expelled as this fluid is corrosive, for that, a clear plastic bottle should do the trick. The brake fluid reservoir should be full and capped before pressurizing and opening the bleeder valve.

Baedarlboo

Postby Baedarlboo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 pm

You also want to work your way from the furthest (master cylinder to caliper) to closest....rear passenger first, rear driver side next, front passenger,front driver side.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 pm

good info as i'll be doing this soon - thx

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:49 pm

aadadams wrote:On the DIY scale this is not that difficult a job, but it sounds like this will be your first time. Since this is a two person job, might I suggest, you have an experienced helper with you on the first go around.

You should capture the fluid as it is expelled as this fluid is corrosive, for that, a clear plastic bottle should do the trick. The brake fluid reservoir should be full and capped before pressurizing and opening the bleeder valve.
AA..correct ..first time doing this...and will have a helper.
should I use a hose and run it from the bleeder screw to a bottle of brake fluid ? wouldnt reuse it and it would blow out any air without sucking any back in..seen it down like that once

once I bleed one, can I open the resevoir and top off brake fluid if need be?

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I would plan to discard the old fluid, so an empty bottle would be best. To be honest I bleed into an oil change reservoir and dry the drippings with a shop rag. These clear tubes are new to me too. I would guess that if you were to attach the tube to the valve and let it terminate into the bottle it would be OK. The process should go like so... Top off brake fluid then have your helper pump the brakes three or four times and hold it. Then you open the valve and allow the fluid to flow out then you close the valve. Repeat until clean bubble-less fluid comes out. Go to the next one and repeat. From memory but that's the gist of it. As long as the brake is not being pressed you should be fine topping off the reservoir. I'm a chemist by day, but I like to tinker around with my vehicles so someone else may have more pathy pointed info... but I hope this helps.
dawgn86 wrote:AA..correct ..first time doing this...and will have a helper.
should I use a hose and run it from the bleeder screw to a bottle of brake fluid ? wouldnt reuse it and it would blow out any air without sucking any back in..seen it down like that once

once I bleed one, can I open the resevoir and top off brake fluid if need be?

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:28 am

Threadjack....You guys are sying to bleed from the farthet caliper forward. When i did mine I actually started in the front and then went to the back. I did notice a difference for the better. Should I do it again and start at the back?

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:09 pm

I have always used a pressure reserve when doing the brakes. It gives you a steady pressure - no pumping of the pedal and chance of air in the system.

I have always done the furthest first as previously detailed, as this is DOT 3 fluid - which is hygroscopic , the used fluid should be safely disposed off.

Make sure that all the bleed nipples are free before you start - saves a lot of time if you know it is seized or needing a new one before you start. maybe just needed in the corrosion areas.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:16 am

Page BR12 of the R51 service manual says to do rear right, front left, rear left, front right, in that order. Don't ask me why.

When I did the bleed a couple of years ago I found a small diameter plastic tube (maybe 1/4" or 5/16") to put on the bleeder nipple. It lets you direct the brake fluid right into a jar or bottle, makes it really clean and easy.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”