Pathfinder saves the day!

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Pathfinder saves the day!

Postby RacerZX » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:47 pm

So a week ago I'm off in the wilds of BLM territory near Joshua Tree National Park and Palm Springs CA, and this chap with a big camping trailer runs out waving his arms as we come along the trail near his campsite. We pull off and ask what's up, and turns out not only has he's gotten his 1-ton GMC 4x4 (Sierra 2500?) stuck in a soft patch of sand, but then sunk his quad to the axles trying to get the truck out too. Yes! Finally a chance to play with all my recovery gear for real for the very first time...

The Quad was first and easy, used my 10'x4" recovery strap and Pathfinder in 4-Lo and pulled it right out easy as pie.

The truck however was seriously sunk with the undercarriage resting on the sand. I used my 30'x4" strap, with the 10' strap bridging through the loop and to the pair of recovery hooks on the front of the stuck truck (they put them there for a reason maybe? ;-). 3 attempted pulls gave no joy, and then a couple yanks also barely budged the beast. We even tried using a come-along (hand winch) and it literally just pulled my Pathie down through the crust and into the sand instead of moving the big GMC at all.

We obviously weren't moving the thing without some digging, and so dig we did. Using shovels (surplus entrenching tools) and my bottle jack we lifted the GMC up just enough to put wood under the wheels and get the belly off the sand just a bit. How did we keep the bottle jack from sinking into the sand? I always carry a 2"x18" plywood disk as a base plate for the jack for just this type of soft sand situation, worked great.

So this video is the final yank that freed him, looks anti-climatic in a way, but it was at least an hour of work to get there, and he and his wife were VERY grateful for all the help from us and our mighty Pathfinder :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2-sSBXXhx0

Also for fun, here's some more off-roading later that day, working our way down the Gold Crown Road into Joshua Tree NP:
http://youtu.be/cm22F1hQTEo?hd=1

And other fun things were were doing out in the desert... ;-)
http://youtu.be/LU8sEJq3jR4?hd=1

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Carl,

Looks real good. Nice job on pulling out the GMC. So do you live down by LA, or farther north in CA? Reason I ask I'm actually at Beale AFB for 3 weeks, I have my JEEP, but would love to do some trails on a weekend, but not if it's a day worth of driving for either of us. Let me know if you are close to Yuba City

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 am

good thing you were there. the tow bill would have been huge if he called a towing company.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm up in the SF bay area. And yes, off-road towing bills are truly insane.

Was just happy to finally use all my toys finally... You know how it is, you get a new electric drill for Christmas and you walk around the house looking for things that need drilling...a tool kit just isn't complete until you use it for something :wink:

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:43 am

RacerZX wrote:a tool kit just isn't complete until you use it for something :wink:
exactly

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Just saw the vids...very cool!

I actually just commented on your youtube vid as well...
Who makes that brush bar?
That thing looks simple, but effective...very sharp!!

Return to “General Automotive”