Hella's Mounted in Grille

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Hella's Mounted in Grille

Postby skinny2 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:47 pm

I gave up on the HID's as they were just blinding everyone, so I picked up set of Hella 500 Black Magics thinking I could mount them behind the grille. I measured twice...but the lights are just a little too deep to fit between the grille and the tranny cooler. Plan B...welding machine.

I ran a 1x1x1/8" piece of angle iron across the frame points just inside the bumper.

Then made a small 90° from the same stock so it would fit between the honeycomb of the grille. Sorry I forgot to take a pic before throwing the grille back on.

Final product:

Performance wise, these are pretty good. I've got them aimed a little high so they pick up where the standard high-beams leave off. I have them wired to come on with high-beams but they're also switched if I don't want to run them. All in all, I like this much better than the HID's and it looks pretty good too even when turned off. The black blends in nicely.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:27 pm

those look big. aren't you worried that they'll reduce airflow/cooling to the radiators?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:58 pm

There's a couple people on this forum that have put lights behind the grille. I too would be worried about restriction of airflow for the radiator for summer months.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:25 pm

The loss in cooling crossed my mind but this setup is better than putting the lights behind the grille. The lights are vertical, actually point down a bit and the grille is on an angle away from the them. So there's actually a decent amount of space behind the lights for air to get around. I highly doubt these will block enough air to make much of a difference. The big slot in the bumper is also for air cooling so it's not like I'm choking off the only access point.

FWIW, the Pathy seems to have some pretty heavy duty cooling. I was stuck in traffic this summer on a hot day down in KY (it was high 90's) and basically went 10 miles in four hours. Temp guage never budged from the happy zone.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Nice, good to hear.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Looks nice! If you do a hid retrofit in these - they will be so bright they will melt snow in front of you. But you will be blinding everyone as well.
do you find that you blind people less with these than your ex-hid low-beam set up or do you use them for empty roads only?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:58 am

Of course the Xenon option crossed my mind...you can buy these from Hella already setup. These were relatively cheap ~$150 delivered and now that i've built the mounts I could swap out lights if I wanted or retrofit these. I'm actually fairly pleased with the setup so far. I miss the whiter light (I had 5k HID's) particularly in the rain. I'm considering doing the HID option for the fogs because the factory fogs are junk.

I'm only running these on high beam. I drive a lot of empty roads and end up running high beams quite a bit. It's pretty remote area I commute through (no cell service even). That's the roads I really need the light as there's a lot of wildlife, hills, and such the OEM lights just didn't do the job. But I also drive a lot of highway and that's where the HID's were annoying everyone.

The HID's on low-beam were still not terrific (blotchy actually) and blinded everyone, particularly from behind. I even had a tractor-trailer flash his brights at me after I had lowered them almost to the point of uselessness. The high-beams of the HID's were pretty good but not as good as the setup with the Hellas. I'm getting better distance and the light shines much higher so I can see along the banks before a 200# deer jumps into the road.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:50 am

I just added the Hella 500's to my Bull Bar and they are really nice. I have them hooked up with the low beams but have a switch to turn them off as well. Around town they are too bright and oncoming traffic does not like them even though they are located bellow the headlights. They sure go much further than the regular low beam. I wonder if I could add a wire from the high beam to go to the relay simultaneously with the one from the low beam so that they could be used either way.

The Hella's are a great and inexpensive ($65) addition and work very well with the existing lighting.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”