Another R51 transmission fell victim

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

excalibur23

Another R51 transmission fell victim

Postby excalibur23 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Just brought my father's 06 pathfinder se to the dealer because it needed an alignment after tie-rod install and because fluid was leaking and i couldn't find where exactly, also tranny was hard shifting.... I feared the worst. :(

Today I got confirmation, tech found coolant in the transmission, needs new radiator and cooler. $6,100 before tax for new tranny & radiator. Truck just hit 100k, so no warranty.. All the preventive maintenance I did, change trans fluid done every 40k, couldn't stop it.... So tech at the dealer said try to call Nissan Corporate to see if they'll fix it. But I already know they won't. My friend's 06 with 87k, he still had to pay out of pocket. Damn, I love Nissan's but this is leaving a bad taste with us.....

mrguy19

Postby mrguy19 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Sorry to hear that buddy..... did you ever do the bypass?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Another R51 transmission fell victim

Postby eieio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:25 pm

excalibur23 wrote:Just brought my father's 06 pathfinder se to the dealer because it needed an alignment after tie-rod install and because fluid was leaking and i couldn't find where exactly, also tranny was hard shifting.... I feared the worst. :(

Today I got confirmation, tech found coolant in the transmission, needs new radiator and cooler. $6,100 before tax for new tranny & radiator. Truck just hit 100k, so no warranty.. All the preventive maintenance I did, change trans fluid done every 40k, couldn't stop it.... So tech at the dealer said try to call Nissan Corporate to see if they'll fix it. But I already know they won't. My friend's 06 with 87k, he still had to pay out of pocket. Damn, I love Nissan's but this is leaving a bad taste with us.....
welcome to the forum, though i'm sorry the circumstances are what they are
wish you had found us sooner for by-pass info

PC05

Postby PC05 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Sorry to hear that. Mine is in the shop at present for the new tranny and rad, I am under 80k so nissan is paying for it.

I most likely will not buy another nissan again after all the recalls and problems with these vehicles.

It definitely leaves a bad taste in your mouth. From here on out, every rattle, sputter and anything else I hear or feel I am sure I will cringe and grab my wallet.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I would find a good transmission shop to rebuild what you've got for a fraction of that cost. The radiator can be done elsewhere as well. Most dealers only swap transmissions so you're probably paying $3k-$4k for a factory reman unit. You can get one much cheaper or have yours rebuilt by a reputable shop (not AAMCO). I might go for a factory reman if it was lower miles but at 100k I'd save the coin.

excalibur23

Postby excalibur23 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 pm

mrguy19 wrote:Sorry to hear that buddy..... did you ever do the bypass?
yep had the bypass done 10k miles ago, but i guess damage was already done.

excalibur23

Postby excalibur23 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 pm

skinny2 wrote:I would find a good transmission shop to rebuild what you've got for a fraction of that cost. The radiator can be done elsewhere as well. Most dealers only swap transmissions so you're probably paying $3k-$4k for a factory reman unit. You can get one much cheaper or have yours rebuilt by a reputable shop (not AAMCO). I might go for a factory reman if it was lower miles but at 100k I'd save the coin.
the only other trans shop that I knew close down shop a year ago. the reman that i found was 2500, while new at the dealer is 3k

excalibur23

Re: Another R51 transmission fell victim

Postby excalibur23 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 pm

eieio wrote:
excalibur23 wrote:Just brought my father's 06 pathfinder se to the dealer because it needed an alignment after tie-rod install and because fluid was leaking and i couldn't find where exactly, also tranny was hard shifting.... I feared the worst. :(

welcome to the forum, though i'm sorry the circumstances are what they are
wish you had found us sooner for by-pass info
thank you

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 pm

excalibur23 wrote:
skinny2 wrote:I would find a good transmission shop to rebuild what you've got for a fraction of that cost. The radiator can be done elsewhere as well. Most dealers only swap transmissions so you're probably paying $3k-$4k for a factory reman unit. You can get one much cheaper or have yours rebuilt by a reputable shop (not AAMCO). I might go for a factory reman if it was lower miles but at 100k I'd save the coin.
the only other trans shop that I knew close down shop a year ago. the reman that i found was 2500, while new at the dealer is 3k
To be clear the one at the dealer isn't new either. They only stock reman units but it would basically be just as good as a new one. An aftermarket reman won't be much cheaper, but to have someone tear yours down and rebuild shouldn't be over $2,000 and that's labor and everything. Worth towing somewhere if you can find a good shop.

excalibur23

Postby excalibur23 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

skinny2 wrote:
excalibur23 wrote:
To be clear the one at the dealer isn't new either. They only stock reman units but it would basically be just as good as a new one. An aftermarket reman won't be much cheaper, but to have someone tear yours down and rebuild shouldn't be over $2,000 and that's labor and everything. Worth towing somewhere if you can find a good shop.
I hear you, only problem is, I don't know any reputable shops where I'd have that done at

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 am

Well the shops are out there if you look and ask around. $6k into that vehicle is borderline not worth it. Private party in good running condition it's only worth around $10k. $8k-$9k on trade.

FindyourPath

Postby FindyourPath » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 pm

whats the deal with this issue????

i have a 2008 2WD 4.0L V6. Coming up on 70K.

What do i gotta know ????

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:06 pm

FindyourPath wrote:whats the deal with this issue????

i have a 2008 2WD 4.0L V6. Coming up on 70K.

What do i gotta know ????
just two things..........
this:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139
and this:
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=20

arkangel

Postby arkangel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Check out my post in this same section about my recent experiences with this issue. I just bought mine and it has 119000 on it so warranty coverage is a fantasy. If you follow my advice and perform the bypass AS WELL AS a fluid exchange, you may be able to save your trasnmission! I'm still waiting to see if it will be a permanent solution, but it's worth a try at least before shelling out thousands on a reman tranny. Hope this will help someone who can do this work on their own.

Ark

skwerl

Postby skwerl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm

arkangel wrote:Check out my post in this same section about my recent experiences with this issue. I just bought mine and it has 119000 on it so warranty coverage is a fantasy. If you follow my advice and perform the bypass AS WELL AS a fluid exchange, you may be able to save your trasnmission! I'm still waiting to see if it will be a permanent solution, but it's worth a try at least before shelling out thousands on a reman tranny. Hope this will help someone who can do this work on their own.

Ark
To add to this - by fluid exchange he means a full fluid FLUSH, not just a drain and refill which is the cheaper option the shops normally offer you. It leaves some residual fluid.

I feel your pain. I have 120k on my '05 R51 and I've only gotten one of the lesser expensive/annoying fixes done by replacing the bad fuel sender.
Now I'm getting P0420/P0430 codes so I'm going to have to do a lot of work to find out if my cats or AF/O2 sensors are bad or if it's a vacuum or fuel problem.
Don't you just love Nissan for only extending the warranty to 60/80k miles on most of this stuff even though they know these problems are eventually GOING to happen? It's a malicious pattern.
Thankfully, I just now found out through this site I need to do the radiator bypass so hopefully it isn't too late. The only upside is that I've made it this far without any transmission problems.

I've really loved my first and only Nissan until now but it will probably be the last one I own.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”