Lesotho - Southern Africa

Life on the road is what automobiles were made for, share your road trip stories and pictures here.

Moderator: volvite

dieselfan

Lesotho - Southern Africa

Postby dieselfan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm

A while back I asked for advice regarding snow, as we don't get much here in South Africa (once in 30 years). Anyways I waited as long as I could before going to Lesotho as I was waiting for my Yoko MT's. Well I love them, and the 6 month wait was worth it (japan earthquake delays).

------------------------------
Lesotho is statistically the highest country in the world. In a day it's not uncommon to have all 4 seasons. Very few of the people speak English despite being surrounded by South Africa. Of those that do it's mainly for hello and bye, or "You go {insert village / town direction}".

We entered from the South Eastern region through Sani's Pass.

At the border to Lesotho

Looking back to South Africa, while going up Sani's Pass.

My kid LOVES the overlanding trips. This was my first experience with snow too.

Completed the pass

After getting our passports stamped on the Lesotho side, I came out to see the border police throwing snow balls at my mother in law?! I later learnt she started it. The snow was melting and there was mud everywhere.

Later that night it was flippin cold. Me, coming from a avg winter temp of 77F, the next pic was taken around 9pm, the wind was about 25mph and temp was around 3F (-16C). My camera battery which WAS fully charged started flashing low bat

The pass and a broken down Disco 2.

My kids name

Previous advice I was given http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=#34840

Well here's a "parking lot" ;)

On the day we arrived at Katse Dam, South Africa and Lesotho had completed Stage 3 of the project. High ranking officials were flown in.

Katse Dam

As usual we saw the normal rolled Toyota Hilux, infact two on this trip. We also counted 5 broken down vehicles. All with the SAME problem rear drive shafts. I think due to the ascents and descents people leave their cars in 2WD and hence put too much load on one axle. We drove in lowrange and 4H, to distribute the torque.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Awesome pictures man, and your youtube videos are great too. Very jealous of your manual diesel pathie! :D

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Awesome pictures. That road trip looks like a ton of fun.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 am

Outstanding. Superb pics.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 am

Very cool. Added to the list of places I need to see after I win the lottery. Thanks for posting.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

8) Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing! :wink:

dieselfan

Postby dieselfan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll post my Botswana trips pics soon too. I did Lesotho in August 2011 (End of winter) and Botswana in November - Our Spring / Summer.

I must just rip the pics out of some video footage. Now if only youtube stopped muting my music ;(.

Return to “Roaaad Trip!!!”