TPMS Issue - How To Determine Bad Sensor - Help!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

zeravlak

TPMS Issue - How To Determine Bad Sensor - Help!

Postby zeravlak » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:37 am

I have a 2007 Pathfinder 4WD SE. Starting the engine, the TPMS light blinks and stays on. Pressures all good, including spare. Manual says spare is not part of the TPMS monitoring but I checked the pressure anyway. I bought a tool to reset the TPMS system. I went through the process twice to reset the system. Both times during the resetting process, the system tried to re-learn, but after 5-7 minutes of driving about 30+mph, the blinking TPMS sensor went to constant illumination and a beep of about 5 seconds sounded.

I am assuming that I have a bad sensor in one of the wheels.

Does anyone know the process to determine which wheel(s) has the bad sensor. From what I can figure out my on-board information system won't tell me which one is bad.

Please help, as I have no desire to get ripped of at the Dealer.

Thx.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I went through pretty much the same thing. My '07 started showing the TPMS light a few months ago. I checked the pressure in all tires, including the spare. Then I let most of the air out of all of them, then filled them again. My last shot was setting the pressure to just a couple of psi above what is called for (34 I believe, but I usually have them at 38 ). Since I get great deals on oil changes at the dealer, I took it in and had them look at the TPMS. The tech came out the first time and told me he reset the TPMS and it was good to go. I kind of blew up on him saying that obviously something must be wrong to have set the light off in the first place. Anyway, a month or so later, I stopped by the dealer again and told them something was definitely wrong. Between my last dealer visit and this one, I had the TPMS reset about 3 times at Discount Tire. This time, the tech reset the TPMS (one of the tires was reading a fault code) & then drove it around the block. The TPMS came back on & they ended up replacing it free since I'm such a good customer (or some such BS).

I also bought and tried one of the TPMS tools, but that only deals with the actual reset, whereas your problem is one of the actual TPMS sensors that needs to be replaced. Pretty much any good tire store can do this for you, although they may not have the right TPMS in stock. Or the dealer obviously. Just make sure you tell them you want the defective TPMS replaced, not reset.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm

It's almost impossible to do without having a scantool compatible with the TPMS system. I recently had the TPMS light come on in my 06 Pathy LE. Fortunately, I have access to an X431 scantool, which told me there was a low battery in one of the sensors. While the scantool allows reading of the tire pressures of all four wheel locations, it assumes that the wheel sensors were initialized at the current locations. If the wheels were rotated at any time and not re-initialized, you really can't depend on the scantool for properly identifying the correct tire location. In order to identify the correct wheel, one can use a digital tire pressure gauge and offset the tire pressures in each of the tires. For example, left front tire can be set at 36 psi, right front at 33 psi, left rear at 30 psi and right front at 27 psi. Use the active monitoring of the scantool, you can figure out which tire is not reading and thus its location.

zeravlak

Postby zeravlak » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:56 am

Quick update: Giving props to the folks at COSTCO tire center in Leesburg, VA. Took a few minutes to use their tester to verify all wheel sensors working. They reset the TMPS warning code and all has been fine ever since 03/04/12. Cost = $0. Wish all repairs or diagnosis went this well. Thanks to those who helped with their comments and suggestions.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:07 pm

For those that have had this problem. My sensor came on today. When I go to my info center three tires have a pressure posted. The 4th does not. Does this mean the sensor is bad or just needs to reset?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Sensors, once initialized, should never have to be reset to be read. You likely have a dead or weak battery in the sensor. There are tools that can measure the signal output of a TPMS sensor, but they are a couple hundred dollars.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 am

volvite wrote:For those that have had this problem. My sensor came on today. When I go to my info center three tires have a pressure posted. The 4th does not. Does this mean the sensor is bad or just needs to reset?
Just get it reset. Depending on where you go, they should be able to tell you if the sensor is bad. If it isn't bad, have it reset and see if it happens again.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

It's a bad sensor. That was one of the first things I had go wrong with mine. The tire pressure light came on and my little in-dash monitor showed the incorrect pressure in one of the tires. Took it to the dealer who replaced it under warranty, saying it's common.

If I remember correctly, the invoice said it would have been $75 or something like that.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:41 pm

In case it helps, I found the invoice.

CONCERN: CK TIRE WARNING LIGHT ON DASH

CAUSE: TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR

CORRECTION: REPLACE TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR AND PROGRAM ALL SENSORS

DIAGNOSIS - TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM .5 $ 20.50

R&R - TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR - OPERATION - ONE .9 $ 36.90

PARTS - 40700-1AA0B TPMS SENSOR $ 64.22

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm

volvite wrote:For those that have had this problem. My sensor came on today. When I go to my info center three tires have a pressure posted. The 4th does not. Does this mean the sensor is bad or just needs to reset?
This happened to me last Saturday. I've only had my Pathy for 14 months with 11k miles on it. But after 20mins of driving it turned off and showed pressure for all four tires again. I will have to keep and eye on this.

Scared the crap out me at first because I thought I had a flat and was towing my ATV :lol:

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”