Best oil to use?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

01PathLE

Best oil to use?

Postby 01PathLE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 am

I have an 01 LE. What's the best oil to run in these engines? It has regular 10w30 in it right now. Should I use synthetic? Is it ok to go to synthetic after its been running with regular oil in it? I just want to make sure I do what's best for it b/c it has to last me a long time, ha. It had a motor put in it back in November with 41,000 miles on it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm

API certified 5W30. If you replace your oil at 3-4000 mile intervals, conventional oil will work just fine. If you operate your vehicle for extended intervals or under "severe duty" type conditions, then synthetic oil is the way to go. Difference in brands are usually defined in additive packages and individual preference. Which brand you use is not nearly as important as whether is is API certified or not, which all "major" brands are (ie Castrol. Pennzoil, Mobil). If you insist on synthetic, Walmart Syntech full synthetic is made by Royal Shell, who also makes Shell Rotella (a quality oil used by many heavy duty truck drivers and mechanics) and it's much cheaper than Mobil One and other "name brand" synthetics.

01PathLE

Postby 01PathLE » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am

Is it OK to run 10w30? That's what it has in it now. I don't like going back and forth with oil weights. I want to start with the best that should go in it and continue with it. The Pathy is mainly driven around town by my wife and is the vehicle we use for long trips etc. Only thing I pull with it is a bike rack, ha. I change oil every 3000 miles.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”