My car is shaking ?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

maliveline

My car is shaking ?

Postby maliveline » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm

so I have a 97' pathfinder. she's a good SUV however if you go over and dips or have to make a sudden turn when traveling over 45 mph the car starts swaying back and forth on its own. Like if your sitting in the driver seat looking forward the car will be rocking left and right uncontrollably. It will keep doing this for probably a good 30 seconds. It can make it difficult to handle the vehichle when this happens. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by maliveline on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:27 am

not a lot of informative people on this site is there?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:50 pm

it was in the wrong section, i just moved it. the forum you posted in was for 2005+ pathfinders.

anyways, the swaying can be from any number of things.
check your front suspension for any leaks, and possible the springs. check ur steering rack, and for any bad or worn out bushings, sway bar links...

do you feel it move side to side when you're driving in a straight line? or is only of uneven roads?

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Like if your driving in a straight line it drives normally. but if you turn the wheel back and forth just a little bit the car moves side to side a lot. its like it is unable to stabalize. and if you hit a pot hole or a bump or something it does the same thing. I noticed that the rubber little acorrdion looking thing in the center of the front struts seems to be cracked on both sides. I dont know if theres any fluid in there or not.

richiepooley

Postby richiepooley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:39 pm

it seems most likely you sway bar end links are broken

maliveline

Postby maliveline » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:39 pm

I just looked at the bushings on my stabilizer bar and they looked pretty good. When I was under the vehicle I noticed that my rear struts do not have a piston in the center of them. Is this normal? I dont know that what I was looking at were struts because I thought only the front wheels had struts but there are two large coils on the inside of my rear wheels that had no piston in the center and it totally looked like there should be one in there.

Also I found this discussion some people were having that sounded like my problems. I'm starting to think I'm having these same issues as it sounds like it could be a common problem on these vehicles.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... a46ec/2747

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”