Anyone look at the new Grand Cherokee?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

amr40509

Anyone look at the new Grand Cherokee?

Postby amr40509 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:42 am

My '06 Pathfinder has been a really good vehicle, but at 103,xxx miles I'm starting to have thoughts of replacing it.

I have had thoughts of getting another Pathfinder, but think I might be ready to have something different.

I do some towing in the 5000lbs range, and a lot of towing in the 2000-2500lbs range. Otherwise I will be using the truck as a daily driver and am used to having something that will work when used off-road too. I think I'm sticking with a SUV as I have a trailer that works for hauling stuff and don't need a truck bed.

I think that the 5000lbs tow capacity of the 4Runner puts it out of the running.

So I think in the mid-sized SUV segment I pretty much only have the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2 series) and Pathfinder that can do what I need to get them to do.

My wife has a '11 Honda mini-van so I'd like to avoid going to a full-size SUV as its not the family road trip car anyways.

Anyone who also is used to a Pathfinder ever spent anytime with a '11 or '12 Grand Cherokee? I'm thinking a Limited or Overland with the 5.7L Hemi V8.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm

WIN. I've been a fan of JEEP for a long time. Used to own a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) with the 4.7L V8. Loved it. Only reason I sold it was to pay for my hunting trip this summer. The new WKII are great vehicles. I'm a member of jeepforum.com and there is a section dedicated to that model. Lots of good information to read up on. I've always had my mind set on a WK II limited with the 5.7 Dark Charcoal Pearl with the light tan interior as I was not really sure I wanted the air suspension that comes stock on the overlands. I did hear there were some problems with the 2011s but about half way through the year, they worked out most of the problems I think as I don't see any new replies on that thread.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Now that Nissan completely ruined the Pathy come 2013, i'm seriously considering the GC.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Can't go wrong with a Jeep, especially with a HEMI. :D These days, it's getting hard to find a mid-size SUV that haul, tow and go offroad. The Explorer is now on a car-based FWD platform. The Pathfinder will be next year. The Trailblazer is gone.

I haven't driven the new Grand Cherokee yet. How does it's size and cargo area compare with previous models? I had a 98 Grand Cherokee before I got my Pathfinder and it was much smaller than the Pathfinder. More space was one of the reasons I got a Pathfinder. Well having a full size spare located in the back of the Jeep didn't help any.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:35 pm

I've had two JGC's over the years and my only big reason for skipping it this time was the gas mileage. The V6 just doesn't get the job done (even the newest model which is good...but not PF good) and the V8 is a thirsty beast with performance STILL lagging the V6 PF. They drive a lot better ON road than the PF and have more features. No third row which doesn't bother me a bit.

I was watching when this latest gen of V6 was released to see if it would have the performance and economy. It has the numbers on paper, but real world it's not nearly as quick on its feet as the PF. So I continue to trudge on with my PF...so far haven't found a suitable replacement.

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu May 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Jeep GC's are nice but alot smaller than the pathy. I do like the new dual exhaust they put on the hemi though.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Fri May 04, 2012 4:46 am

My Virginia Sales rep just boght a GC SRT8. That truck is a beast.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:36 am

kelleyo wrote:My Virginia Sales rep just boght a GC SRT8. That truck is a beast.
Yes, SRT8 is an animal and I would take that in a heartbeat..if I didni't drive 25k miles a year!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 04, 2012 6:08 am

skinny2 wrote:I've had two JGC's over the years and my only big reason for skipping it this time was the gas mileage. The V6 just doesn't get the job done (even the newest model which is good...but not PF good) and the V8 is a thirsty beast with performance STILL lagging the V6 PF. They drive a lot better ON road than the PF and have more features. No third row which doesn't bother me a bit.

I was watching when this latest gen of V6 was released to see if it would have the performance and economy. It has the numbers on paper, but real world it's not nearly as quick on its feet as the PF. So I continue to trudge on with my PF...so far haven't found a suitable replacement.
Yes I agree with the 5.7 V8 being thirsty but so is my 5.6 V8 in the Pathfinder.

I don't buy brand new cars. I usually wait until I can find a great deal on a used vehicle. The WKII is on my list of potential replacement vehicles, but that's not anytime soon as My 08 Pathfinder is running like a champ.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 am

dared3vil00 wrote:Now that Nissan completely ruined the Pathy come 2013, i'm seriously considering the GC.
That is a big part of the issue I'm having. I hate to buy a 2012 Pathfinder knowing that it's the last year of a run that began in 2005 and that they are totally changing the platform in 2013.

The 2013 Pathfinder just isn't going to cut it for my needs.

I also am a business owner and will be taking advantage of the tax credit for buying a >6000lbs GVWR vehicle, so it'll probably be happening in the later part of the year. That would mean that I'd have to buy a Pathfinder from leftover dealer stock while the 2013's roll out.

I'm not a "Jeep Guy" but it looks like that is about the only option in the market for the features I'm looking for.

kevworthy

Postby kevworthy » Fri May 11, 2012 7:54 am

We bought my wife a '12 a few months ago and it is solid as a rock....With dealers trying to move these out for the redesign you can probably get a lot better deal than I did. I think Nissan is offering .9 interest on them now, that would have saved me 30 bucks a month...we got 2.9.....

fidelcastrol

Postby fidelcastrol » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:07 pm

http://youtu.be/rhU0nr5oSNA?t=1m23s <----- Unrelated to topic

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:48 pm

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 am

The only GC I would contemplate would be the 07-08 CRD 3.0L MB diesel.

Supposed to be super good on fuel, great towing capacity, and a decent all around vehicle. A little heavy.

They are going for about $23-26k here in Manitoba right now. A little pricey still.

t

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:21 am

mar1 wrote:amr40509, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM
That test was bullshite and the engineer later admitted the car was actually overloaded by 150lbs or so.

We recently test drove the GC (for my wife, getting rid of the Honda Pilot) and I have a friend who got one when they first came out. Very nice vehicles and they have a special edition "Altitude" which has some black out feature and larger wheels. Looks pretty cool, in my opinion:
http://www.jeep.com/en/limited_editions/

We ended up getting a white four door wrangler with the altitude package and it is going to be a lot of fun-it has t-tops a removeable hardtop and the doors also remove, of course.

Still have the Pathy for me.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”