SO MANY timing chain, FSU, ECM, cat & belt tensioner iss

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DMRPHY03

SO MANY timing chain, FSU, ECM, cat & belt tensioner iss

Postby DMRPHY03 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:47 pm

However most of them seem to be on 05-07 models. Does anyone know if the 08+ models have these same issues? Could they have been resolved? I only have 53k on my SE so I may just not be experiencing them yet, but I really hope its more that Nissan realized and rectified the known issues. I have already done the tranny cooler bypass since I have found instances of others with 08+ models getting contaminated. Any input would be appreciated!

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 pm

I hear your concerns. Bought a 2006 with 66K miles on it. After purchase I realized why a comparable 4Runner was so much more. But now I try to make the most of what I have, since ALL brands are not without issues of some sort.

I will comment on what I do for the timing chain tensioner issue. I know Nissan has improved it, but I’m sure it too, will develop wear over time. To sleep better at night, I added a hyper-lubricant in the oil called motorkote.com. If it helps the bar & chain of my saw, I feel confident it’s helping the delicate innards of the motor. Truckers swear by it. Improves mileage and extends overhaul intervals. I use it in all my gas powered stuff. Added some to the 2 cycle oil mixture and now idles faster… huh, Whats with that?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 pm

Nissan didn't just update the tensioner "foot," as it's called, but also the upper timing chains. It appears that the real problem wasn't so much the tensioners but that the chain links were too sharp and cutting into the plastic tensioner "foot." Hopefully, this put an end to the issue. Unfortunately for me, I purchased my 06 with the updated parts already installed by someone else. Apparantly the must have overtightened the primary tensioner bolts because one of them broke, causing the primary chain "slack" guide to fall back against the cover as the tensioner rotated. This caused the primary chain to slack and make a loud rattling noise as it beat against the upper guide and the rear timing cover. It also chewed up the primary tensioner, which is not made of cast iron like older Nissan chain tensioners, but of some type of plastic or resin composite. On the plus side, the chain didn't jump and turn it into a much worse scenario.
As far as the R51's, yes, the 05-07 Pathfinders are the most problem prone. As with any manufacturer, the first two years of any new model tend to have a few 'bugs." You also have to keep in mind 2005 Pathy's were one of the first models built out of the new Canton, MS plant (along with the 05 Quest...and we all know how bad they are!). So, not only did you have new model bugs, but new assembly plant bugs, as well! In 2008, Nissan did a "model refresh" of the R51, so a lot of the problems (albeit not all) were corrected by then. In my experience, the last year of a model run is often the best year to buy! Good time to buy a 2012 Pathy! ;)

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 am

Great information!! Thanks so much for all of the input! Makes me feel a little better about purchasing mine BEFORE doing the research I should have done :roll:

Do we know which other of these issues have been "resolved" on the 08+ models yet? I am more curious about the cats and fsu as smj999smj answered the concern about the timing chain problems.

Thanks again for the information! :D

Abmobil

Postby Abmobil » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am

The pathfinder is actually built in Smyrna Tennessee although its first year was 05. Previous pathfinders were from Japan. I hope they worked the issues out as I just purchased a 2012 Frontier CC 6 speed.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 am

I've gone passed 80k on my '08 with no real problems so far, and I beat the crap out of this thing. Trying to be a little more responsible as the miles pile on...but I still have to drive some rough roads and go off-road on a regular basis. Not off-roading for fun, but driving mining roads that are rough enough to shake your ballz off. I haven't done the bypass yet but now that the extended warranty is up I'm going to look into it.

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 am

I am at 98k with my '06 and I am definatly starting to get the "supercharger" whine noise most noticable at slow speeds from those stupid chain tensioners wearing out. It is a design flaw with the 4.0L engine that I wish Nissan would address. My local shop quoted 13 hours of labor plus parts to fix it.....OUCH! I have done all the easy mods including the tranny by-pass myself but the timing chain is a little beyond my comfort level when I have to drive it to work everyday.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:07 pm

The addressed it by updating the secondary timing chains, which apparantly had links that were too sharp and were cutting into the plastic tensioner "feet." The counter-measure chain has "rounder" edges which is supposed to fix the issue. I guess only time will tell!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 am

When did the updated parts appear on this? Just wondering if they fixed at the factory by '08 (mine is a very late build...actually has a 2009 owners manual)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”