Slider Installation

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

MonkeyMike

Slider Installation

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:27 am

no truck yet, but i have a set of supersliders sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. reading the instructions, im a little squeamish about drilling through the body of what will be a few day old truck.

what has everyone else done to protect the bare steel once you drill through the sheet metal? spray paint? touchup paint? spray on undercoating or bedliner? nothing?

like i said, im a little uneasy about drilling a hole in the sheet metal, and leaving it unprotected.

~mike

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:00 am

If you have supersliders specific for the PF then there won't be any drilling involved. The sliders bolt on using the same predrilled holes for the PF side step installations.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:40 am

Greybrick wrote:If you have supersliders specific for the PF then there won't be any drilling involved. The sliders bolt on using the same predrilled holes for the PF side step installations.
Be careful of what information you are spreading. Your statement is incorrect. There are Pathy specific sliders out there that require drilling. Otherwise there is no support past the frame rail (which is tucked way inside of the body). And ANY slider that simply bolt to the existing studs (there are no pre-drilled holes) that the stock side steps mount on I would immediately return or throw in the trash. Those studs are only in the seam of the sheet metal of the vehicle and are not connected to anything more substantial.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 am

Greybrick wrote:If you have supersliders specific for the PF then there won't be any drilling involved. The sliders bolt on using the same predrilled holes for the PF side step installations.

nope, sorry, the instructions (and pictures posted here) indicate that you drill holes in the body seam that runs below the doors. if you didnt have this support point, the rails would cantilever into your body upon impact, thereby damaging the sheet metal they are supposed to be protecting.

again... to those who have actually installed the RR supersliders, what did you do to protect the sheet metal from rusting after you drilled your holes?

~mike

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:42 pm

I was talking with an autobody guy this afternoon about a different matter and asked him what his shop uses for rust protection on newly drilled holes or other corrosion solutions. This was the stuff he suggested;

http://www.corolon.com/motor.htm

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Personally though I'd look at using POR-15 products;

http://www.por15.com/?gclid=CNLPxK78sJICFSG8iQodKlhPLw

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 am

MonkeyMike wrote:
again... to those who have actually installed the RR supersliders, what did you do to protect the sheet metal from rusting after you drilled your holes?

~mike
Mike,

You should shoot an email to Rocky Road and ask them. The guy who handles the email is also the owner & the one who fabricates everything. He installed mine, but I have no idea what or if he used anything to protect the bare metal.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm

Any updates on the supersliders install? Will be interested to find out how it goes. Thanks

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:47 pm

pdslug wrote:Any updates on the supersliders install? Will be interested to find out how it goes. Thanks
well, im interested in how it goes too! im still waiting to take delivery on my truck :x

~mike

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Since I'm bursting at the seams with new pics, here's one of my PF, supersliders, dust & dirt:

I know it will probably only make the waiting worse for you, but just keep telling yourself that it will happen...soon.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:20 pm

I installed my supersliders tonight. I am pretty low on the mechanical ability scale, but didnt have any major problems. I did have a friend there to help since each slider is about 35 pounds. It took a little over 2 hours to do it. These things are solid!
Here is a basic idea of what is involved:

Here is what you get: 2 supersliders, hardware, template for drilling holes in the body seam.

Close up of the hardware: larger one is a self-taping bolt that attaches to the frame. Longer bolts go through the body-seam support and the body seam.

Getting ready:

After a test-fit, you make one mark on the body seam, then use the template to mark the 4 holes in the body seam. Drill the holes in the body seam. Put the slider back up in place and insert the 4 longer bolts, washers, and nuts - finger tight only.

Make sure the frame arms are where you want them (had to pound them up a bit with a rubber mallet). Drill the holes in the frame. Install the self-taping bolts.

tighten the 4 body-seam nuts, and you are done.

Sorry these pictures are bad. Oh, after drilling the body seam holes, I did brush on some primer on the exposed metal. Dont know if it will help much, but didnt think it could hurt.

I am going to Colorado next week to try these things out! More later.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 am

Looks good! Thanks for the mini report w/pictures also. What made you decide on the supersliders over the other options? I know a few people have mentioned getting sliders, but I'm not sure they've made up their minds yet (GuinnessJim for one).

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:09 am

NVSteve wrote: What made you decide on the supersliders over the other options?
The only other option I am aware of is shrockworks. These are similar to the supersliders, and probably a good option as well. The reasons I went with supersliders are they were a little less expensive, and I think they have a sleeker look than the shrockworks.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:34 am

NVSteve wrote:Looks good! Thanks for the mini report w/pictures also. What made you decide on the supersliders over the other options? I know a few people have mentioned getting sliders, but I'm not sure they've made up their minds yet (GuinnessJim for one).
still want to do it.....unfortunately normus (the big white dog) tore his ACL. as i haven't had my pet insurance long enough (12mo), i get to foot the whole bill (its a pants-load). be a bit b4 i get to add anything onto my truck.

*looks good pdslug...thx for the pics.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:13 am

pdslug wrote:I installed my supersliders tonight... Here is what you get: 2 supersliders, hardware, template for drilling holes in the body seam.

Dumb question... but did you take the steel template out of BOTH sliders? Mine came with a template in each slider. I assume yours would also.

~mike

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”