Lifted and having rear alignment issues

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Touchdown

Lifted and having rear alignment issues

Postby Touchdown » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:04 pm

I had the PRG 2" spacers F and R in the truck and even with the rear alignment maxed out it was always towed in a little. \----/

To solve the problem I purchased the 4x4parts.com HD springs. These should give my pathy a 2" (or so) lift. But the same problem exists.

Do they make longer lower control arms or something?

I could sure use some advice to this tire-eating problem!!

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm

If I remember correctly there are new camber adjustment bolts made for the lift

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Yes I've got them, but they are for the front.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 pm

OK I guess it solved itself! :)

Took a long road trip for the holiday packed full of the family's stuff.
And somewhere along the way, they settled down.
The rear is actually now a bit lower then the front.
(Which will be fixed when i get rid of the spacer and put in adjustable shocks)

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Touchdown wrote:OK I guess it solved itself! :)

Took a long road trip for the holiday packed full of the family's stuff.
And somewhere along the way, they settled down.
The rear is actually now a bit lower then the front.
(Which will be fixed when i get rid of the spacer and put in adjustable shocks)
yeah, mine settled from +2in to +1.5in in the rear.

the couple times i've had it realigned they say the rear is maxed out though.

so does that mean if i needed more adjustment room i'd need to change the U & L control arms?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Yes most likey longer U & L control arms.
Not sure where you'd get or swap them in from though.

Another Idea I had looking at the setup, would be to add a lower connection point to where the lower control arm bolts in.

cgamaralyo

Postby cgamaralyo » Tue May 27, 2014 6:02 pm

im having the same issue. Except mine will not settle in. i have the same setup.

BigEz

Re: Lifted and having rear alignment issues

Postby BigEz » Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 am

Touchdown wrote:I had the PRG 2" spacers F and R in the truck and even with the rear alignment maxed out it was always towed in a little. \----/

To solve the problem I purchased the 4x4parts.com HD springs. These should give my pathy a 2" (or so) lift. But the same problem exists.
Do they make longer lower control arms or something?
I could sure use some advice to this tire-eating problem!!
I had the same issue... With the same panic and issues of what else needed replacing to correct the issue. You can read about it and my panic & fix here:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 8502#58502

In the end it was a improper rear alignment on a computer alignment tool. They also told me my rear adjustments were max as well. And they were based on the three adjustments the computer told them to do. Before going down the replace parts route, I decided to have them checked by another source. We were able to manually align rear in 20min, and it is the best alignment I have ever had.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:05 pm

i didnt have this issue with my lift. the rear camber bolts were all that was needed and they arent maxed. guess i got lucky.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Thu May 29, 2014 2:05 pm

akley88 wrote:i didnt have this issue with my lift. the rear camber bolts were all that was needed and they arent maxed. guess i got lucky.
Yep, mine weren't maxed either.. although the big box shop said they were. When we did it manually, we lifted each wheel a little, made adjustment, then lowered wheel to check. I think the laser rig might have had an issue with resistance on adjustment bolts and arm movement. Those had not been adjusted since the production line. The laser setup kept weight on all 4 tires with floating supports. Getting the wheel up while making the adjustment may have allowed the arm to move more freely. Once we got a wheel up, we cranked the adjustment bolt to max & min several times to free it up before making first adjustment. You can easily see the geometry change when the wheel is up.

But... I just noticed Touchdown lists both the 2"spacer and HD spring. I thought those springs were just stiffer. But if they are taller too, then his lift might be closer to 4", which may Max out adjustment?

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:52 pm

BigEz wrote:
akley88 wrote:i didnt have this issue with my lift. the rear camber bolts were all that was needed and they arent maxed. guess i got lucky.
Yep, mine weren't maxed either.. although the big box shop said they were. When we did it manually, we lifted each wheel a little, made adjustment, then lowered wheel to check. I think the laser rig might have had an issue with resistance on adjustment bolts and arm movement. Those had not been adjusted since the production line. The laser setup kept weight on all 4 tires with floating supports. Getting the wheel up while making the adjustment may have allowed the arm to move more freely. Once we got a wheel up, we cranked the adjustment bolt to max & min several times to free it up before making first adjustment. You can easily see the geometry change when the wheel is up.

But... I just noticed Touchdown lists both the 2"spacer and HD spring. I thought those springs were just stiffer. But if they are taller too, then his lift might be closer to 4", which may Max out adjustment?
someone had posted that one set of springs were two tall and stiff and cause lift that was beyond adjustment

Ar-45acp

Postby Ar-45acp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I know this is old but anyone have p/n for rear camber bolts?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri May 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Nissan actually put the rear camber bolts on when they did an alignment a long while back and that finally solved the issue. I believe the earlier R51 models had them come stock. You're Nissan tech should be able to look them up.

I'm having to readdress this issue again as I'm messing with new adjustable shocks and UCA's in the front and added weight from a custom bumper in the back. Can I just say I hate our suspension and all the tweaks twerks and twists that go with it!! :?

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Sat May 09, 2015 7:43 am

Touchdown wrote: ....I'm having to readdress this issue again as I'm messing with new adjustable shocks and UCA's in the front and added weight from a custom bumper in the back. Can I just say I hate our suspension and all the tweaks twerks and twists that go with it!! :?
I agree. I like the drivetrain, but feel the overall suspension requires more tuning and tweaking than others brands. I think part of that comes from the lack of suspension mods available aftermarket ... as compared to Toy or Jeep.

When you do your next tweak, you should check your lower link bushings. I found my big tires wore them out. The hub side was fine, but the frame side was shot. Was cheaper to just replace the lower links at $40 each, than to remove and press new bushings into it.. Anyway, has required no tweaks since.. 25k mikes ago. ( http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 8560#68560 )

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Sat May 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Roger that...thanks for the tip!! 8)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”