new to me free pathfinder problems it came with questions!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

markjr

new to me free pathfinder problems it came with questions!

Postby markjr » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:46 am

so first off, im new here so whats up guys. heres the deal i recieved a free 05 pathfinder 4x4 4.0l, gold color nice car. good interior body paint and what have you. now i got the car because the people next door no im a mechanic. and being as it was free, what the hell right? but you pop the hood a damn, someones been there before me no fuel rails, injectors, top intake manifold, spark plugs, wires or anything fuel or ignition related parts. on top of that idont know if the motors bad or in it just wouldnt start and they jumped passed simple to lets rip shit apart and replace it. but they never finished. the trans should be ok no trans fluid in the radiator. so the ending note i dont know if i should just start replacing stuff or take it to a shop. help with ideas of what they might have been trying to fix? please help guys im at a loss of ideas.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 am

I don't even...

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 am

i would try to source the missing pieces at a srap yard or on craigslist. i bought a nissan sentra about 6 years ago that they thought the engine was blown. the mechanic took out plugs, wires and cap thinking they were bad. i took one look at what they were trying to do and figuired it was a spark problem. i bought the car for $300.00 while the car is worth about $2,500.00 easily. i tapped the distributer for about twenty minutes before the car finally started. what happened was the mechanic kept trying to start the car and flood the chamber with fuel and did'nt realize it had no spark. so to sum up this long story his stupidity my gain. i sold the car for $2,000.00 to a co-worker.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:01 pm

It was probably free for a reason... That said it would still be worth $8-10k if it had no major problems. Since you're not sure where to start or even sure it's worth repairing, I would have the engine checked out by a compentent shop. Have them check what they can. A compression test can reveal a lot. You basically want to determine if the engine is fine mechanically or not. Worst case scenario: the engine is toast and your out the cost of the shop's diagnosis. You could then make a decision to rebuild or replace the engine or to sell the vehicle as-is.

Another good thing to go is to take an inventory of all the missing parts and then estimate the total part cost using a source like Courtesy Nissan parts website or factorynissanparts.com.

Your best option would be to find a wrecked Pathfinder with a good engine and swap the engine (if needed) and install all the parts yours is missing. A good donor Pathfinder would be hard to find though.

Good luck!

markjr

Postby markjr » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Yeah i think thats what ill do. I can compression check it myself but what ratio am i looking for in this thing? Also wasnt there a huge problem with these things not starting? And what was the fix? If its a not so expensive fix im looking at keeping it being as my wifehas her car and i have a ford ranger thats lifted and not fun to drive on the road so im going to check out the before stated websites and most likely keep the thing for myself. What else should i change or replace before other things go bad, like the trans and things like that. The pf has 22,000 miles on it and has sat for the last 2 years

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Wow that's low mileage. Not sure what starting problem you are referring to but it could be the ECM relay. Engine Control Module. The relay is about $3 from the dealer. Buy one and at least have it as a spare if the current relay is fine.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:32 pm

A bad ECM relay can cause the engine to shut off or not start. At least that was my personal experience.

markjr

Postby markjr » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Good to know once i check the compession and change out every fluid i can find ill get everything to put the motor back together and check that i just cant under stand why they wouldve takin off all the parts they did im going to ask them if they have the missing parts and hopefully they do

markjr

Postby markjr » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:41 pm

So looks like right around 700 for everything missing shipped thats no to bad.

admiral

Postby admiral » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

any updates?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”