Gear Grinding in left front axel

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

rannunziato

Gear Grinding in left front axel

Postby rannunziato » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:00 am

2006 PF, V-6, 4.0, 4WD, SE, 126k miles.

Noticed a gear grinding noise (like 2 gears not engaged and grinding against each other instead of engaging) during snow covered road conditions.

Applied brakes hard (skidded) in snow and heard above noise coming from left front axle. Figured it was the ABS system so I ignored it.

Attempted fish tail in snow while in 2WD and encountered similar noise from same location.

While in 4WD applied pedal pressure to spin tires for traction testing and encountered similar noise from same location.

Not sure if wheel hub/4WD/axle unit needs to be pulled apart and greased or if something is broken.

On a side note, ABS system does make the "thwang" noise when truck is cold. Not sure if the 2 are linked or not.

Please advise,

Thank you,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:28 am

By your desciption, it sounds like it would all be due to the ABS system activating. Sounds like normal operation, to me.

rannunziato

Gear grinding

Postby rannunziato » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:49 am

Can't be normal, hard to believe Nissan would design something where gear grinding is a design specification, but thanks for the input, maybe someone will have more specific information.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Check the axle on that side, specifically the boot where the axle enters the hub in the wheel. I have had boots break/leak before and ruined the ball joint there and it sounds like a grinding gear. Not sure if that is the issue, but it may be. One specific problem I had was a loud clicking sound when trying to turn hard and drive forward in 4WD. The clicking may have been there under heavy load while offroading, but I wouldn't have noticed it over all the other noise.

rannunziato

Gear Grinding

Postby rannunziato » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Nope, almost 100% sure that's not it. Passed recent inspection with a focus on the front suspension components.

Had a similar problem with a 4 runner after driving through salty ocean water. Hubs needed greasing.

The head scratcher here is it does it when the rear wheels are spinning while fishtailing in the snow as well as the other times mentioned.

I'm almost positive it's related to the ABS/traction control system, specifically in the left front axle area. It seems to be working as designed, traction control lights come on and I can feel the power transfer to all of the wheels...the problem seems to be when it's the left front wheels turn to engage, the grinding begins and stops almost immediately. Very confusing.

Thanks for the info. though,...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:28 pm

My front ABS will make a noise that sounds like what you're describing. I fixed it by moving to San Diego and not having to brake hard regularly in 4WD on the snow 8)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 pm

As smj was trying to explain, your truck is equipped with VDC, or Vehicle Dynamic Control. When the computer detects slip or the vehicle starting to move off track, the computer engages the ABS and can limit throttle input. This prevents fish-tailing and keeps you in control of your vehicle.

When the ABS engages, it can sound like 'gears grinding'. It is quite noisy, but is part of normal operation.

t

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Well, I figured I'd offer my 2 cents just incase it was related. I've driven in snow a grand total of once in my life and that was in a different car. The closest thing I have to relate that to is offroading so my first thought was to when I had a similar problem.

Maybe it is just normal operation. Re-reading your OP it it sounds like maybe that the brake is engaging to keep the car from swinging out the rear end when the tire starts slipping.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Yeah, it's not actually "gear grinding," but the noise made by the ABS actuator as it's working.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am

I am positive smj is very right here. I was doing a hill climb earlier today and was getting that sound from the front left tire when ever I started slipping.

rannunziato

Really?

Postby rannunziato » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 am

Wow! thanks for the feedback, would love to hear from more PF enthusiasts regarding this issue.

Just this morning when pulling into work, braked on ice and grinding occurred. Really having a hard time believing that is a normal sound. I guess what is so troubling is I'm not feeling the engineered results of the ABS system. That is, I hear the grinding and that is all. Not seeing or understanding the mechanics behind the system. Nothing extraordinary happens to stop the vehicle other than the grinding. Still continued to skid on the ice...I don't know, not going to believe it until I contact Nissan or have my mechanic pull that left front axle apart and tell me that nothing's wrong.

Both dazed and confused....

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 am

what kind of shape are your tires in?

rannunziato

gear grinding

Postby rannunziato » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 pm

New in August, General Grabbers ATII.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Eh...that could be the other half of your problem. The gear grinding noise is indeed "normal." But some of the tires these trucks come with...yikes.

Mine had the OEM BF Goodrich's when I got it with plenty of tread left on them. They wouldn't stop on anything either and ABS was often working on slick surfaces. Michelin LTX's completely changed the truck; now it'll stop, go or turn on snow or ice like it's a sunny day and I rarely get the gear-grinding ABS noise unless I really lay into it.

Don't know that I'd rush out and spend $800 on LTX's when you have new tires of course. Just saying the OEM's can be miserable...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm

When you first start driving after you start the vehicle, the ABS system does a self check and you will hear the noise from the actuator. If the "grinding noise" you hear is the same as the noise you hear during the self test, then you know it's the ABS system and not the axle. Rather than make a dealer mechanic tear your axle apart, perhaps they have a used R51 on their lot that they can let you drive to see if it makes the same noise you hear in yours.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”