Changing color of roof rack.

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

dcdemke

Changing color of roof rack.

Postby dcdemke » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 am

Just bought a SL AWD in Dark Slate. I would really like to be able to change the color of the roof rails and cross bars once i buy them to match the gloss finished grill. Would appreciate any input!

AWDtraction

Postby AWDtraction » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

yeah i feel you on this one. I just recently picked up a SV in slate and it came with the rails but didn't come with the 2 crossbars...not sure if they are additional but that's what the dealership is telling me

pyrophilus

Postby pyrophilus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 am

If you are handy, get the fsm and remove the rail. I think (dont quote me) the rail on my R51 (2005 LE) was removable using torx drivers, accessible after remkving some finishing covers. I might have had to pull down bit of headliner, but I pulled it so many times I dont remember.

You can just go to auto supply store and get them to mix a can of paint to match your grill. Scuff it up with sandpaper and spray (forget but you canbuy portable aerosol propellent to spray, or some shops will even mix then put in spray cans for you!)

Personal opinion. I am not sure if you'd want the roof rail to be glossy, unless you dont plan on using it at all. The rails and crossbars on my 2005 were flat black (rails were grey), and they got scratched up a bit from me attaching/ removing bike rack, ski racks, and my cargo basket. I would imagine gloss will show age fairly quickly.

I haven't purchased crossbars for my R52 yet, but I am sure going to put some sort of rubber strip on top of the silver crossbars as I know they won't escape being scratched up.

Return to “R52 Body Interior and Exterior ”