Dealer forgot to pull oil cap on!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

martyf250

Dealer forgot to pull oil cap on!

Postby martyf250 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:59 am

I got an oil change about 1,000mi ago. I open the good to put washer fluid in and notice the oil filler cap gone! Oil in engine bay. I checked oil level and seemed normal. Any possible damage that can be done? I calls dealer and they gave me a new cap and supposedly cleaned the oil but did a half ass job if that

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Dealer forgot to pull oil cap on!

Postby eieio » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 am

martyf250 wrote:I got an oil change about 1,000mi ago. I open the good to put washer fluid in and notice the oil filler cap gone! Oil in engine bay. I checked oil level and seemed normal. Any possible damage that can be done? I calls dealer and they gave me a new cap and supposedly cleaned the oil but did a half ass job if that
sounds like quite a mess......
kind of makes we wonder if they tightened your drain plug and oil filter properly :shock:

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 pm

same thing happend to me, but not from the dealer. Let assure, that i'm not going back to that place again. Had them clean the engine bay and had them do a new oil change, and I checked after that it was tight. my engine light came on, and a smell of oil so I looked under the hood, and the oil cap was just sitting next to plugs... i was pissed!!! happend a while ago, and so far no issues after the incident.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:05 pm

I'd want a new oil change as well. The cap is there to keep dirt and crap out....

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 am

They should've done more than just give you a new oil cap. At least noticed it was missing before too late.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:23 am

You can't trust dealerships, took a 2004 Ford Explorer in for a recall notice to the transmission. Told them to go ahead and do a transmission service at the same time. When I picked up the car it didn't seem right, the service rep said every thing was just fine. Turns out, after driving 40 miles, they didn't put any transmission fluid back in the trans. Only took a half dozen phone call to Ford to get a new transmission.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 am

and they should have cleaned the engine compartment at least as clean as it was before the oil change
AND they should have offered you a future oil & filter change at no charge
that would at least maybe get you back into the dealership at some time so that they can show you that they can do a good job
how is a customer going to have any confidence in a place where they can't even get a simple oil & filter change done right?
by and large, customer service is horrid anymore

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

"By and large customer service is horrid anymore."

Agreed.

I used to only take my cars to the dealership, thinking they know it better. Now I know better. I get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube because if I'm going to get crappy service from someone who could care less about me (or my car), I want to, at least, pay less for it.

martyf250

Postby martyf250 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:28 am

yea i normally do oil changes myself but my garage was all junked up....and my wife wonders why i don't trust anyone!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”