HIDS

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Brian Nametko

HIDS

Postby Brian Nametko » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm considering HIDs as well. I probably could just replace the bulbs with a HID bulb I would assume right? Or do I need to replace the whole light.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:34 am

The HID kits just replaced the bulbs. There are some projector lens options for 2005-2007 models which would have to be better. Just putting HID in the stock housing is a joke in my book. The oem reflectors are useless and with HID you either blind everyone or have to lower the lights to the point they offer no additional lighting and the high beams are still junk.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Just bumping this hoping to solicit a few responses on the best options for better lighting.

Would Sylvania Silver Stars be a cheap upgrade over stock? Or, is a full-blown projector hit with new wiring harness etc the only way to go?

dcuptown

Postby dcuptown » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 am

if you are thinking Sylvanias go with the ZXE's .. I have tried the silverstars and they were no brighter than my stock bulbs.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:37 pm

skinny2 wrote:The HID kits just replaced the bulbs. There are some projector lens options for 2005-2007 models which would have to be better. Just putting HID in the stock housing is a joke in my book. The oem reflectors are useless and with HID you either blind everyone or have to lower the lights to the point they offer no additional lighting and the high beams are still junk.
Strongly agree.

And for the best option, HID's in projector housing is probably the "best".

Silver stars are OK.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 am

I went through a few of these aftermarkets and ended up with the Xtravision bulbs. They had the best low-beam pattern but high beam is still a scattered mess. But since I run aux lights along with my high-beams it works out pretty good. My experience was all of these are no better on high beam because of the horrible optics....more light just gets scattered more. But if you want a good low-beam it might help a little.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Can any of you provide a link to the product/retailer you found was best? Just trying to narrow my search to something tried and true. Thanks in advance.

semco

Postby semco » Wed May 15, 2013 12:41 pm

mine has bi-xenon installed by factory...why not to get headlight assy from EDM model?

Also, I am wondering, because I didnt get my Path yet, do you need to have relay along with harness for using it with HID kit? On my old toyota I had to run it otherwise the ballast just couldnt turn on. What about you guys who switching to HID kits, does your car works fine with no harness connected to the battery?

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Thu May 16, 2013 7:46 pm

semco wrote:mine has bi-xenon installed by factory...why not to get headlight assy from EDM model?

Also, I am wondering, because I didnt get my Path yet, do you need to have relay along with harness for using it with HID kit? On my old toyota I had to run it otherwise the ballast just couldnt turn on. What about you guys who switching to HID kits, does your car works fine with no harness connected to the battery?
Is EDM the best choice for R51s? Basically I'm trying to get that european projector look and performance. My wife's TSX will illuminate a major league baseball stadium. Not sure if I can replicate such performance but it would be nice. Thoughts on which manufacturer to go with?

semco

Postby semco » Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 pm

i gonna take some shots tonight

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri May 17, 2013 6:41 am

semco wrote:i gonna take some shots tonight
Me too 8)

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 am

semco wrote:mine has bi-xenon installed by factory...why not to get headlight assy from EDM model?

i thought someone said the euro oem HIDs are rather pricey. my harness required a connection to the batter cause i am running 55watt hids.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Is there a consensus which "kit" is the best regardless of cost?

Serpens

Postby Serpens » Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 am

Lightwerkz is the best kit hands down. I was supposed to have purchased my retrofit but my play money had to go to something more important. :?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”