just jumped into a 1996 nissan pathfinder se

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

mbayse

just jumped into a 1996 nissan pathfinder se

Postby mbayse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 am

I just bought a 96 pathfinder for 800 at 170k miles not knowing all that much about it. I'm curious when do the head gaskets usually go on these? And what else if anything should I worry about? Will have pictures and more questions up soon. Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 am

Head gaskets are not a common problem on VG-series engines. I have heard of (and seen one) intake gasket failure on the VG33E engines, but even that's not real common, either. Your big concern would be when the timing belts has been replaced. It is an interference engine and the timing belts should be replaced every 105,000 miles (I like to put a time limit of 6 years on the timing belt, but Nissan doesn't specify a time interval). Usually when I replace a timing belt, I also replace the tensioner pulley, water pump, front cam seals and front crank seal, thermostat and drive belts. Radiator and coolant hoses should be inspected and replaced, as needed. Major service is due at 180,000 miles. Always stick with genuine Nissan or NGK brand ignition parts. The #6 spark plug is a real pain to get to; there should be a spark plug tool in your jack tool kit to aid with the removal of this plug. Right side exhaust manifold cracks were once common, but most of those have been replaced with an updated manifold. Rear main seal and/or rear oil pan end seal oil leaks are fairly common. Also common are worn or split rear suspension link bushings that will give your Pathy the infamous "death wobble" while driving if they are bad. Some just replace the bushings, some upgrade to polyurethane bushings and some replace the entire link(s) assy(s). The fuel filter is sorta hidden under the vehicle, just above the rear axle. If you service the auto trans (if you have one), avoid using Dexron III and stick with Nissan Type "D" ATF or one of the many aftermarket ATFs that are "recommended for use" in Type "D" or Dexron II applications, such as Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol Multi-import ATF, Amsoil ATF, etc. Also, there is a recall for the strut towers due to corrosion issues. Contact your Nissan dealer or Nissan Customer Service Hotline @ 1-800-NISSAN-1 with your VIN # and have them check for open campaigns and recalls. If there's anything else we can answer, just let us know!

mbayse

Postby mbayse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for all that, ive reffered back to your post at least 5 times
does anyone know where i can locate the knock sensor? code p0325. I did one in my legacy which was super easy to access, im hoping its the same for the pathfinder

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:24 am

mbayse wrote:Thanks for all that, ive reffered back to your post at least 5 times
does anyone know where i can locate the knock sensor? code p0325. I did one in my legacy which was super easy to access, im hoping its the same for the pathfinder
No such luck...here's everything and more you will need:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 5d25520b63

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm

The knock sensor is located on the top of the engine block, directly below the intake manifold. You can either remove the upper and lower intake manifolds, or do the "relocation method," shown in the above post. I know many are using a Maxima knock sensor subharness and sensor. It's probably not as an effective location as the top of the block, but it does save a lot of work.

mbayse

Postby mbayse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Just wanted to make sure these were rivets on the fender flares before i drill?
if not how do i remove them? thanks

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”