Please need some help.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

2537buzz

Please need some help.

Postby 2537buzz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 pm

I have an 04 Pathfinder LE. I upgraded the original system to a Kenwood stereo so my son ( this is my son's first car. He gets his lic in 2 weeks) so he could use his Ipod and have xm radio and bluetooth so he would be hands free while driving. I had it done at PC Richards and the install guy seemed to know his job. The radio worked great and looked great when I left. Next day the xm said antenna connect issue so I called and the installer said may have a bad antenna or loose connection and to bring it in. About two hours after that I came out from shopping, turned the truck on and the radio was dead. I had to work so my dad and son took it in on Sunday back to the installer to be fixed. About 20 minutes in all he had it and proceeded to tell my almost 17 year old that Kenwoods are touchy and sometimes go i to protect mode and showed him how to reset it, if it happens again which meant taking off the face p,ate and using a paper clip to push the reset button in. Well. Today the radio worked fine, then we came out from shopping, turned the car on and the radio again is dead will not turn on. this is less the. 24 hours of just having it in. Something is wrong and it seems like a bull crap story about it being normal that it is just the protect mode. I mean simply playing the radio normally, and it is going into protect mode and turning off and he feels that is normal? Wed. I bring it in again for the second time since my Thursday install. Any input on what the issue is? To me it seems like it is shorting out somewhere and making it shit down, but the installer told me because I asked before I had the work done, that they do not cut or splice wires, that they use the harness, and all the extras required for an install on the pathy, so basically all plug and play. Just concerned and pissed. Any thoughts on what the cause is. Something is wrong and I feel really bad for my son. You know how it was when you were young, first car and just getting your license plus he busted his butt working for the $300 to get it. Thanks for any help. Elaine.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 am

i would check the ground, and throw a multimeter on the power wire to see if you are getting intermittent contact.

Any other problems with the truck? The only thing I could think of that would make the stereo go into 'protect mode' would be unstable or high voltage supply.

And I don't know enough about the Kenwoods to confirm the installer's story. You might want to punch the model number into google to see if there is a known issue and fix.

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you. No no other issues with the truck, actually runs and looks new. I contacted Kenwood this morning and spoke with their tech area and they said since the radio works, then won't turn on again they do not believe it's the protect mode, because they asked me if it actuall says "Protect" on the screen and I said no I never seen that at all. They actually think it may be a bad head unit, but said that PC Richards can Bench Test it. They opened up a file for me in case the tech as to call. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Just feel badly for my son:(

Thanks again.
Elaine

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”