Miles ???

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

PFhopefull

Miles ???

Postby PFhopefull » Fri May 02, 2008 8:10 am

Just a question about what to look for when purchasing a used PF that has slightly higher miles on it? I have been looking at vehicles with around 20k or so, just curious if any of you have more that that on your current PF. And wondering what are some problems to look for. I can only see myself putting on maybe 5k a year and could save some real money by buying one that has say 40 to 50k on it. Any thoughts? Thanks

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri May 02, 2008 11:19 am

Haven't really had any problems other than nit picky stuff in the beginning. We have almost 45k on ours. It's oil change weekend at our house, both vehicles get some fresh stuff.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Fri May 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Maybe keeping it under 3yrs /36miles since thats the factory warranty bumper to bumper.....
?

MGJ

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri May 02, 2008 12:55 pm

49k issue free miles. Does the price of gas count as an issue? I have a FMY (05) with a Oct 04 build date, with exception of 3 bulletins (VIAS, VDC, and 4WD clunk [T-case/cross member clearance ,no biggie]) It's been great.

Keep an eye on the Nissan service bulletins for the year path you choose. There are a few squeaks or rattles that may come up all covered, all really minor.
It always helps to know whats going on as most dealerships in my area need a little help diagnosing issues even though they should be reading the bulletins themselves.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri May 02, 2008 3:49 pm

PFhopefull,

Keep your eye out for Nissan factory certified PFinders. I bought my '05 from a Nissan dealer with 16,400 miles and one owner. I had a weekend set aside where I was going to hit 3 surrounding cities to check out about 10 different PF's. I ended up buying the first one I looked at. After seeing what the Nissan dealer was offering, I looked at the info I had on the others I wanted to look at. There were only two of them that were compareable for mileage and price range. Neither of them were being sold at a Nissan dealer, so I wasnt going to get the factory certified warranty. That was the biggest selling point for me.

The basic warranty came was 6 year/ 100,000 miles which covered basically the drivetrain. Sales Dept will try to upsale you on extended warranties for suspension, electrical, air condition, etc. Take it or leave it, its up to you. I chose not to get any of the extra warranty because I work in the auto industry and have mechanic connections for things I may not be able to do myself.

I have had my PF for over a year and half and it has about 66,000 miles on it. I havent had any problems yet.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri May 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Edit - Deleted in the interest of keeping this thread completely on topic.
Last edited by SilverGhost on Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:37 pm

SilverGhost wrote:"06 LE with (believe it or don't) 8500, <b>NOT 85,000,</b> on the odo. Not a single significant problem, although a couple of minors that I would expect from ANY vehicle.
While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, a vehicle purchased brand new and now having low miles despite being several years old is hardly a good example of the OP's original question regarding purchasing a higher mileage used one. If it was I'd be on here yackin about my 7100 mile 06 LE and its lack of problems.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Fri May 02, 2008 11:43 pm

30,000 miles keep going back fro small things i dont think there fixing anything so i just do it myself :D

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Fri May 02, 2008 11:44 pm

BMXPath wrote:PFhopefull,

Keep your eye out for Nissan factory certified PFinders. I bought my '05 from a Nissan dealer with 16,400 miles and one owner. I had a weekend set aside where I was going to hit 3 surrounding cities to check out about 10 different PF's. I ended up buying the first one I looked at. After seeing what the Nissan dealer was offering, I looked at the info I had on the others I wanted to look at. There were only two of them that were compareable for mileage and price range. Neither of them were being sold at a Nissan dealer, so I wasnt going to get the factory certified warranty. That was the biggest selling point for me.

The basic warranty came was 6 year/ 100,000 miles which covered basically the drivetrain. Sales Dept will try to upsale you on extended warranties for suspension, electrical, air condition, etc. Take it or leave it, its up to you. I chose not to get any of the extra warranty because I work in the auto industry and have mechanic connections for things I may not be able to do myself.

I have had my PF for over a year and half and it has about 66,000 miles on it. I havent had any problems yet.

i got the extended warranty glad i did

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:38 am

My '06 has just over 40K on it.

No real problems. I did have an issue w/ the TPMS light comming on and staying on (this was in the 30K miles range) which the dealer fixed after several tries at it. Since then (out of warrenty now) I've had the light come on (always after driving several hours at a pretty steady 75-80mph), flash for about a min, then turn off (tire pressues are w/in spec).

The truck feels like new still to me though. All I have done is change the tires (at about 37K miles). I'll probably do the brakes soon, as I tow a boat in the summer, but it's been good and I plan to keep it for many more miles.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat May 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Edit - Deleted in the interest of keeping this thread completely on topic.
Last edited by SilverGhost on Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:03 pm

Calendar = 2, Model years = 3. Check your messages.

Gray

Re: Miles ???

Postby Gray » Tue May 06, 2008 2:48 pm

PFhopefull wrote:Just a question about what to look for when purchasing a used PF that has slightly higher miles on it? I have been looking at vehicles with around 20k or so, just curious if any of you have more that that on your current PF. And wondering what are some problems to look for. I can only see myself putting on maybe 5k a year and could save some real money by buying one that has say 40 to 50k on it. Any thoughts? Thanks
Would you buy private, dealership or used sales lot / auction?

PFhopefull

Postby PFhopefull » Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 am

Most likely a dealership, it seems like the best route for me to set up a couple to call on and search out, Im not picky about color and the only options Im set on are the Bose because I dont think Ill have time or the money to upgrade to what I really want. Possibly would be looking at one with the stock DVD for the kids but that wont be a deal breaker. Looking to spend about 20 to 22k which I think should get me what I want. Going to pull the trigger at the end of the year which gives me plenty of time to research some more. Hopefully around that time some more 06 or 07's are meeting my criteria.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”