2008 just diagnosed w/ coolant/trans cross-contamination

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

SteveFinn

2008 just diagnosed w/ coolant/trans cross-contamination

Postby SteveFinn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 am

Just got back from the local Nissan dealer. They verified cross-contamination & ordered new radiator & trans (78,000 miles currently).

Huge thanks to this forum for making me aware of the radiator failure issue.

My symptoms started at 75,000 with the 'rumble strip' feeling @ 40 mph-60 mph...then got to the point that I had to turn overdrive off. All shifts are rough also.

chris57

Cross Contamination

Postby chris57 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:20 am

Can anyone tell me if flushing the tranny and replacing the rad will put the tranny back to the condition prior to the cross contamination? that is what the dealer is saying however every tranny shop and and several honest dealers are saying the tranny is doomed once the strawberry milkshake of death is discovered.
mine had shifting issues when in overdrive and the dealer flushed the tranny and replaced the rad. they did not tell me of the co pay agreement...

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 am

The coolant wrecks the valve body which needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Once it stops shifting, it's done. Finished. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. If they want to flush it instead of replacing it, go somewhere else. I've learned that many dealer service departments know as much about your car as your average 10 year-old girl (they often also have the same interpersonal communication skills).

I've heard that the transmission computer also needs to be replaced but I can't confirm that.

On another note, I talked to a Nissan guy who said the 2013s were already having transmission problems. I don't think those are related to cross contamination, though.

chris57

Postby chris57 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:49 am

well I live in Canada and up here the official Nissan stance is replace the rad, flush the tranny and send me on my way. they are not dealing with the issue and its time a class action is filed against Nissan Canada for ignoring this issue. the US dealers are dealing with this properly by replacing the tranny.

Come on Canucks lets sue Nissan Canada over this!

RICKSTER

I saw this forum to late! Paid out of pocket for tranny!

Postby RICKSTER » Sat May 11, 2013 3:02 pm

DanJetta wrote:The coolant wrecks the valve body which needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Once it stops shifting, it's done. Finished. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. If they want to flush it instead of replacing it, go somewhere else. I've learned that many dealer service departments know as much about your car as your average 10 year-old girl (they often also have the same interpersonal communication skills).

I've heard that the transmission computer also needs to be replaced but I can't confirm that.

On another note, I talked to a Nissan guy who said the 2013s were already having transmission problems. I don't think those are related to cross contamination, though.

RICKSTER

Replaced transmission...found forum to late

Postby RICKSTER » Sat May 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Well, I just picked up my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder from my mechanic. Found a used transmission for $1400 with 40,000 thousand miles on it. Ended up paying with total with labor $1900, and he gave me a break too. I heard other stories of owners paying up to $5000. Just filed claim as well against Nissan via an on-line site for victims like me. Lets see what happens? Should have done my research alot sooner and taken it directly to a Nissan dealer. Thanks.

ABest

Postby ABest » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:24 pm

So is the Nissan dealer covering this now, or do you get a big bill?

Sounds like they should be proactively changing something.

I have a 2010 with 63k mi

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 pm

the OP is stating that because it is still under warranty that they are taking care of it. outside the warranty period... NO DICE. ABest i would keep an eye on yours... if it starts to shift funny or if the tranny fluid starts looking milky, and you are still under warranty take it immediately to the dealership to get it taken care of. after the 80k the only fix is the infamous tranny cooler bypass. a whole section of threads on it and is a quick easy solution.

PokeyPrasch

Postby PokeyPrasch » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:50 am

I'm pretty sure the bypass isn't the "only" fix.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:17 pm

PokeyPrasch wrote:I'm pretty sure the bypass isn't the "only" fix.
you might want to read up and educate yourself on the matter... ALL PF are subject to coolant/tranny cross contamination... its not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. and yes, it really is the only fix. and by only fix i mean bypassing the trans cooler in the radiator by some way shape or form, i.e traditional bypass or bypassing to a aftermarket cooler and caping off the radiator... either way. it is the "ONLY" true fix

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm

unmeloy wrote:you might want to read up and educate yourself on the matter... ALL PF are subject to coolant/tranny cross contamination... its not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. and yes, it really is the only fix. and by only fix i mean bypassing the trans cooler in the radiator by some way shape or form, i.e traditional bypass or bypassing to a aftermarket cooler and caping off the radiator... either way. it is the "ONLY" true fix
Not at all. The better fix is to replace the radiator. The cheap fix is to by-pass.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 pm

there is no known replacement radiator that is a permanent fix. only a replacement that is prone to the same issues. my brother in law works at nissan. this is directly from him.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 am

unmeloy wrote:there is no known replacement radiator that is a permanent fix. only a replacement that is prone to the same issues. my brother in law works at nissan. this is directly from him.
Aftermarket. I went with OEM though. By the time this one could potentially have problems the rest of the vehicle will be worn out.

PokeyPrasch

Postby PokeyPrasch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm

unmeloy wrote:
PokeyPrasch wrote:I'm pretty sure the bypass isn't the "only" fix.
you might want to read up and educate yourself on the matter... ALL PF are subject to coolant/tranny cross contamination... its not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. and yes, it really is the only fix. and by only fix i mean bypassing the trans cooler in the radiator by some way shape or form, i.e traditional bypass or bypassing to a aftermarket cooler and caping off the radiator... either way. it is the "ONLY" true fix
I've read extensively and with some comprehension...
All Pathfinders have the possibility of this type of failure (as with any vehicle that used this rad/trans design), this issue is the high failure rate in the Nissan Radiator. There are lots of Pathfinders still on the road with original radiator and transmission w/o the bypass who are blissfully unaware.

Saying that it's the "ONLY" fix and that your "RADIATOR WILL FAIL" is overgeneralizing and misleading.

There are thousands of cars with this radiator/tranny cooler design on the road today and while this failure does happen to them it is pretty rare, atleast when compared the the number of Nissans.

Also, FYI:

in·fa·mous
[in-fuh-muhs]
adjective
having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.
deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.

Not a good way to describe a mod you are suggesting. :roll:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 am

unmeloy wrote: ALL PF are subject to coolant/tranny cross contamination... its not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.
Yes, all Pathfinders etc *could* potentially have this happen, but saying "it is a matter of when" is completely off the mark & pure BS. By saying that, you are definitively stating it will happen to all of them, period. That simply is not true.

Yes, we have had a few owners post their rad/trans issues on this forum, and the situation overall flat out sucks. But you simply can't say it will happen to all of them and present it as a fact.
Last edited by NVSteve on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”