Tow pkg or aftermarket?

Any topics related to 2013+ R52

Moderator: volvite

Joybulb

Tow pkg or aftermarket?

Postby Joybulb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey all, first post here. Seriously considering an SL 2013 model, and wondering if I should skip the hitch and put one on myself(meaning buy aftermarket and have someone put it on for me)?

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 am

Check with Nissan head service office first. Before buying our PF we looked at Dodge SUV some came with trailer hitches some didn't, the dealer was willing to install a hitch for us at no cost. But after doing some research fund out the the ones with a hitch from factory towed 4,000 pounds, the one without a hitch only towed 2,500 pounds. Found out that other car company do the same thing.
There is also a thread in this forum (I think this forum) that also talks about this problem. If you haven't bought your PF yet check this out with Nissan head office and not the dealer.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 pm

A tow package includes more than just a hitch. Usually it involves a transmission oil cooler, the trailer plug etc. Factory tow packages are usually worth their cost if you plan on towing.

pyrophilus

Postby pyrophilus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:02 am

Starting with R51, transmission oil coolers were standard on all pathfinder models (actually, their failure caused tranny luid/coolant issues with '05's)

My 2005 LE had the optional "tow package", which was nissan hardwiring light controls to the hitch, as all R51's had the hitch standard.

I am sure that all R52's (2013-) also have rear hitch standard. The tow package just adds factory trailer wiring, and an electric brake jumper.

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 am

pyrophilus wrote:.

I am sure that all R52's (2013-) also have rear hitch standard. The tow package just adds factory trailer wiring, and an electric brake jumper.
INcorrectomundo! The 2013 - 2014 SV on up models have an optional tow package that includes the receiver plus the wiring. The Pathfinder engine and transmission already have the towing capacity figured in for those models. The tow package is NOT available on the "S".

Since this thread is over 6 months old, I'm sure the original poster has already made their decision, but for others, I would recommend getting your Pathfinder with the tow package if you plan to tow at all. Aftermarket options are available, but quality (and towing capacity) might be diminished, depending on who you use to do the install.

Return to “R52 General Chat”