98 Pathfinder Slamming Sound From Rear

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Moburchette

98 Pathfinder Slamming Sound From Rear

Postby Moburchette » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Hello All.
New to the forum and Pathfinders.
I'm the latest owner of a 98 manual transmission SE.
I'm hearing (and feeling through the shifter) a solid slamming from the rear end when the truck is in neutral and either hits a bump or I tap the brakes. When drivetrain is under load = no noise.
I've already replaced the upper rear control arm bushings, sound can be recreated at low speeds with short sharp brake taps.
While watching underneath as a freind simulates I can see the axle twisting a pretty good amount.
Local "mechanics" ideas = worn out rear end...noise is gear slop
=worn out transfer case output bearing
I will say rear end seems a tad loud, no screeching but you can hear it, also 5th gear has a prett healthy whine while accelerating.
Any other ideas? Otherwise The truck runs like a top and I'd really like to avoid just throwing spendy parts at.
Thanks
Matt

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 am

Those are all possibilities. I would start by checking the driveshaft support bearing (the rubber insulator tends to collapse or come apart as they get older) and the driveshaft U-joints.

Moburchette

Postby Moburchette » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 am

U joints were ruled out first. Wasn't even aware this vehicle was equipped with a support bearing? Is it possible it's totally missing? Been googleing for photos and parts, found plenty of part photos but not sure where they actually go?

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm

What about the lower control arm bushings? Did you change them?

Moburchette

Postby Moburchette » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:02 pm

No we didn't do the lowers because my "mechanics" said they looked fine...fast forward a couple days and am now stuck in southern California, guy at a shop took one look at the lowers and said there it is. When I got back to my home for the night (campground) I rocked the truck and now the uppers seem to have a bunch of play, so i guess they got trashed in 500 miles it took to drive down here or...I've been scammed, another lesson I suppose.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”