Fuel Gauge Issues?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Junior

Fuel Gauge Issues?

Postby Junior » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Noticed lately that the fuel gauge is acting wonky.
2008 S 4x4 with 140,000kms.
Gauge reads empty, fill up the tank but the gauge sometimes takes a couple of hours before it reads full.
Again, this only happens sometimes and I can't put a finger on any oddities when it does happen. The weather (ie. warmer vs colder) doesn't make any difference.

Anyone know if there is a float/sensor in the tank that is maybe getting stuck?

-sean

ShipFixer

Re: Fuel Gauge Issues?

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Junior wrote:Noticed lately that the fuel gauge is acting wonky.
2008 S 4x4 with 140,000kms.
Gauge reads empty, fill up the tank but the gauge sometimes takes a couple of hours before it reads full.
Again, this only happens sometimes and I can't put a finger on any oddities when it does happen. The weather (ie. warmer vs colder) doesn't make any difference.

Anyone know if there is a float/sensor in the tank that is maybe getting stuck?

-sean
There's a TSB and/or recall (can't remember which) for the fuel tank sender. Several threads about it in the forum...

Junior

Postby Junior » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks Fixer...just came across the recall threads after posting. Seems like most fuel issues were with the 2005 model year based on the threads I read so wasn't sure if it went beyond that or not.
Will give the dealer a call to find out.

Cheers

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 pm

2006 was a recall for the fuel sender...for other years there was a TSB for replacement of the fuel sender.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:03 am

I have an 05 and I received a letter from Nissan 3 years ago which stated that the warranty for the fuel sending unit was extended to 72 months/72,000 miles for 05-08 models. Unfortunately the time limit for this warranty is almost up and I believe you are already past the mileage limit.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 am

Here's another topic on it. It actually just happened to my 08 V8 and my local nissan dealer took care of it for me. I was still under the mileage of the extended warranty. However is your check engine light on? That was the first question my dealer asked. I think if that's not on, the might not do anything about it.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=7797

Junior

Postby Junior » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:05 am

Check engine light did come on and I was over the mileage for the TSB.
I checked with both local Nissan dealers in my area...one quoted $485 installed and the other quoted $375.
Wound up ordering the part online and having my local mechanic install it....$200 total.

Thanks all for the info!

PV_Pathfinder

Postby PV_Pathfinder » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm dealing with this as we speak on an 06. It's out of coverage on the extended warrant so I got a quote from the dealer for about $430. But the trip computer still works w/o issue... So I just use that as my fuel gauge. I'll get around to replacing it eventually, but since there's no real risk of it getting worse, no hurry.

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 am

My '06 had the fuel sender replaced at 40k-ish miles, and again at about 105k miles for the recall. The first 2 were flaky, the last one has been abysmal. Driving down a 9% grade or taking a corner can make the gauge drop from 50%+ to completely empty in probably a minute, complete with flashing light and "-----", and it takes as much as a couple hours of driving or maybe 100 miles for it to normalize. I took it back to the dealer who told me the issue was a warped fuel tank. The funny thing is that recall letter mentioned that warped fuel tanks were the reason for the redesigned sender.

I've given up on Nissan ever getting this right, and have adapted to using my ScanGauge2 to monitor fuel levels.

Return to “R51 Electrical”