Multiple issues w my 05

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Dom9360

Multiple issues w my 05

Postby Dom9360 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:53 pm

I have an 05 Pathy with about 80k on it. For the most part, I'm very satisfied with it.

Just recently I've experienced these issues (may be related):

I notice my temperature gauge fluctuate throughout driving period. When I am stopped at light it shoots up to the first 'tick' just before the warning zone. While driving, the gauge goes down to below half mark.

In the summer time, the AC doesn't blow cold air when I'm idling (about when that temp starts to rise on gauge). As soon as I pull off the line and drive, the cold air flows nicely.

In the winter time, I noticed the direct opposite. I have heat when I'm driving but I lose it when I start to idle.

Any direction would be much appreciated. I typed this on mobile so excuse grammar and or spelling.

Thanks. Dom

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Multiple issues w my 05

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Dom9360 wrote:I have an 05 Pathy with about 80k on it. For the most part, I'm very satisfied with it.

Just recently I've experienced these issues (may be related):

I notice my temperature gauge fluctuate throughout driving period. When I am stopped at light it shoots up to the first 'tick' just before the warning zone. While driving, the gauge goes down to below half mark.

In the summer time, the AC doesn't blow cold air when I'm idling (about when that temp starts to rise on gauge). As soon as I pull off the line and drive, the cold air flows nicely.

In the winter time, I noticed the direct opposite. I have heat when I'm driving but I lose it when I start to idle.

Any direction would be much appreciated. I typed this on mobile so excuse grammar and or spelling.

Thanks. Dom
some, if not all of these issues may be the result of air pockets trapped in the cooling system, resulting in poor coolant circulation
i'd try "burping" the system, and make sure the coolant level is correct in the surge tank after doing so

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 pm

...or low coolant, period. Nissan left my system at 1/3 and it acted kind of like this. Can't tell by looking at the reservoir either...

FLpathFinder

Postby FLpathFinder » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 am

Just had this issue. Took Nissan 3 visits to figure it out. Ended up being a leak in one of the rear heater lines, although it could be any part of your cooling system. As I learned from this forum once the engine detects its overheating, the first line of defense is to stop the compressor.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:05 am

As all the previous posts mentioned, It's LOW COOLANT. There must be air pockets in the system that are hindering proper cooling.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm

aside from checking your coolant , check to see if the fan clutch is engaging and if the coolant fan is turning on.; either of those will hinder proper cooling and cause overheat.

Dom9360

Postby Dom9360 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:27 pm

I checked my coolant levels and they were fine. I did get the system flushed about 6 months ago. What is this talk about air bubbles and burping? Do I have to do this on a regular basis? If so, this sounds like a defect IMO.

Speaking of coolant. If after I burp the system, what type of coolant shall I put in? What is a good NON-OEM replacement? Something I can buy from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts?

Thanks.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:40 pm

How did you check your coolant level? The Pathfinder uses the European model with the pressure cap on the reservoir; the reservoir can appear full but the system can be really low (like mine was). Did you check it in the radiator?

It was a Nissan dealership that underfilled mine by the way, while replacing the radiator. I didn't catch it until the truck started showing signs of overheating (particularly while uphill).

Dom9360

Postby Dom9360 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:55 pm

ShipFixer wrote:How did you check your coolant level? The Pathfinder uses the European model with the pressure cap on the reservoir; the reservoir can appear full but the system can be really low (like mine was). Did you check it in the radiator?

It was a Nissan dealership that underfilled mine by the way, while replacing the radiator. I didn't catch it until the truck started showing signs of overheating (particularly while uphill).
Crap. You were right. Gallon low. Filled and no more issues with AC or overheating. I also saw some burping when both caps were off. Now, to find the root cause. What are the odds the cap is bad?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”