Metal "Cling" Noise

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Metal "Cling" Noise

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum besides the post I made in the new member introduction section. Just purchased a 2008 SE. :D Here are a few pics I posted in the other thread.

I have about 1600 miles on the Pathfinder so far and I've noticed a noise that I don't know what it is. The behavoir is very consistent. Every time I start the vehicle and put it in drive there is a metal "cling" sound just once when I reach approx 15 MPH. I don't hear the noise anymore after that. I've noticed this every time I start the car and put it in drive. It happens with the A/C off so it's not the A/C clutch. I don't think it is suspension related because it happens on flat pavement. I don't know much about tourque converters, but I wonder if it could be that. Anyone know? Anyone else hear this? Thanks!

nissan4me

Postby nissan4me » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:34 pm

Welcome, I live in Mesa and recently purchased a white 08 just like yours...... I know the exact sound you are referring to, unfortunately I have no idea what it is. My Path does the exact same sound that yours does. I havent looked at the cause yet.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Cool. Looks like we have pretty much the same vehicle. We went with the V6 4x2 as well. The fact that the noise is only heard once and the behavior is consistent, I wouldn't be surprised if it is part of normal operation. I just want to be sure.

Looking at you sig, what screen do you have the hardrive showing video on? Do you have the DVD package with a rear screen or did you tap into the screen on the dash?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Metal "Cling" Noise

Postby blink32 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:18 pm

AZ_Path wrote:Every time I start the vehicle and put it in drive there is a metal "cling" sound just once when I reach approx 15 MPH.
AZ_Path wrote:I've noticed this every time I start the car and put it in drive.
Is it only when going from P to D, only when you hit roughly 15mph or both? Your details are a little confusing to me.

Is it repeatable in a single session? What I mean by that is can you put it in P, then D to make the noise, then back to P and again to D and cause the noise again? Or drive up to 15mph, make the noise, then stop somewhere and immediately replicate your initial steps and cause the noise to reappear? Or does the rig need to sit for a few minutes/hours/overnight before the noise is reproducible? Will the sound appear if you just start the rig and wait? Any details you can offer will help.

Depending on the details of the circumstances it could be exhaust components banging up against heat shields, the frame, body, etc. The torque could be causing a weird load on the suspension. And of course there could be far more nefarious demons at work there.

nissan4me

Postby nissan4me » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Hey Path,

We do have the exact same vehicle except I have SE instead of LE. The Harddrive OIT displays on the front screen. You can see my mediagate post for more details. When I first heard the sound, I thought a rock kicked up and hit the exhaust or heatshield. After I heard it a few more times, I realized something else was going on. 1100 miles on it so far and no issues, guess time will tell.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:41 pm

I heard it too with my 2008 SE 4x4, but only when I take off from pulling out from my drive way in (R)

bender031

Postby bender031 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:12 am

all- sounds like you are all describing the abs self-test. it does it each time you start your car and reach a certain speed (10-15 mph) if that is in fact what you are hearing it is 100% normal.

Does it sound like a quick abs noise?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:36 am

Absolutely normal. Mine makes the noise at 15mph also. Kind of a loud clacking sound, which always turns heads when I leave parking lots. I always thought it was the VDC kicking in, but I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I researched it & read that it was normal.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am

I wonder if this is something on the later models? I can't say that I've ever heard any noise like that.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:50 am

Wow, I hear the same noise too. I think it has been there since I bought my Pfinder. I only hear it after moving forward when I first put it in gear. If I have my radio on, I dont hear it... or at least, I dont notice it.
I worried about it when I first noticed it but it hasnt gotten worse. I guess I am knida used to it.
Funny, the first few times I heard it I thoght it was me driving over a rain gutter, or a utility hole cover. Thats what it sounded like.

AZ_Path

Re: Metal "Cling" Noise

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:52 am

blink32 wrote: Is it only when going from P to D, only when you hit roughly 15mph or both? Your details are a little confusing to me.
Sounds like this is normal from what other are saying, but here are the details anyway.

Once I put the vehicle in D, it will only happen once when I reach 15 MPH. When I come to a stop and then accelerate again without taking the tanny out of D I do not hear the noise ever again. I haven't tried putting in P and then back to D while leaving the vehicle on to see if it will do it again.

I have noticed it happen every time I start the car regardless of how long the vehicle has been shut off. I haven't let the vehicle idle for a long period to see it the noise happens. I have however driven across a parking lot at 10 MPH for a couple hundred yards and did not hear the noise until I exited the lot and reached approximately 15 MPH. From my observations, it is speed dependent.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:56 am

bender031 wrote:all- sounds like you are all describing the abs self-test. it does it each time you start your car and reach a certain speed (10-15 mph) if that is in fact what you are hearing it is 100% normal.

Does it sound like a quick abs noise?
It sounds like a high pitched metal "ting." It's somewhat loud. I don't know what an ABS noise would sound like so I have no idea if it is.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 am

Bender is correct. This sound is the ABS test that occurs at 12.5 mph each time after the vehicle is started. I have a 2005 SE - I thought it sounded like a transmission clunk, so I took it to the dealer. They test drove it with me, heard the noise and told me what it was. He backup-up this claim with a written report.
Nothing to worry about.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:54 am

I've never heard it. Of course now I'm going to be listening for it.

Nice PF, BTW.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum AZ_Path, white is a great color for these trucks. The noise is normal as described in the
BRC section of the service manual, page BRC-25;

http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R5 ... ce/BRC.pdf

"Motor operation noise (of the brake control system): When the vehicle speed goes over 20 km/h (12.5 mph),
the motor and valves operating noise may be heard. It happens only once after the IGN (ignition switch) is ON.
This is a normal status of the system operation check."

Ours sounds more like a small metal door closing dampened clunk sound and it always happens at the same spot in the street
in front of our neighbors house who have commented on it, so I guess it must sound louder outside than in the cab
of the truck.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”