New Windshield OEM vs Safelight

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

akley88

New Windshield OEM vs Safelight

Postby akley88 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:07 am

ok i wanted to check what you guys think about which is better. My windshield has been cracked for about 3 months and i noticed the crack has started to grow. I have heard of tons of issues with safelight glass being lower quality and fragile, leaking and things along those lines so i figured i would see how much more the OEM glass is and check about just getting the OEM reinstalled. Anyone else have their glass replaced.

Scott Spencer

Postby Scott Spencer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am

Love my Safelite glass. Great service and excellent quality

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:49 am

I hate replacing glass. Seems like the minute you do, you get a stone chip or worse...

Had a coworker specifically ask for OE glass from his installer (in his case it was Mercedes Benz). They did it, and didn't charge extra. Though I doubt every installer would do this for free as there must be a cost premium to the OE product.

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

I'm on my fourth windshield (i think....lost track) and have never noticed a difference between the first (OEM) and whatever they've thrown on since. I drive a lot of gravel roads and follow (and pass) large semis all the time....also on my third fog light. Surprisingly there are very few stone chips in the paint. Apparently stones only like to hit glass....

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:17 pm

I had a Safelite windshield installed 3 times. The first two were already cracked and the third leaked. I finally took it to the dealer who installed an OEM windshield properly.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”