Checking in from the Midwest

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

kra7997

Checking in from the Midwest

Postby kra7997 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Just picked up my 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. This is my first SUV, been mainly a sports car type of guy.

Picture of my new Pathy should be on my avatar.

Would love to hear back from other Pathfinder owners and how is does in bad weather.

Look forward to reading other threads.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:54 pm

4x4 or 2wd?

oem tires (bfg long trail) or some other type?

i can say that the bfg LTs with 50% or so of tread are "eh" in more than about 6in of snow on the ground (even in 4 low). i got stuck once in about 6-8in after i got out of ruts in the road.

i can also say that the bfgs all-terains with 80% tread will cut through 8-12in of snow no problem in 4hi. no problem making my own ruts in the road. i have about 50% (around 8-9/32's left, start at 16/32) tread left for this snow season so i'll be able to tell you how well the bfg ats do at shallower tread depths.

kra7997

Postby kra7997 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:03 pm

4wd

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm

ok, in my personal opinion you'll be fine with oem/"all season" tires when on regularly traveled roads/urban areas in the snow (which is what i assume you mean by "bad weather").

if you're in an area (like out in the country) that doesn't get plowed/traveled -alot-, then i would highly recommend getting some snow/severe snow rated tires. i personally like the bfg all-terrains, but really anything is going to be better than the bfg long trails (not sure what you have on yours though) that mine came with. in my research i've read that in general the "mud terrains" do worse in snow (due to the large blocks that just 'dig' into the snow) than the "all terrains" (not to be confused with "all-season" tires). however do some of your own research, as everyone has their own opinion :)

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:33 pm

welcome.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”