Why did you choose to buy a pathfinder?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

2012Pathfinder_EB

Why did you choose to buy a pathfinder?

Postby 2012Pathfinder_EB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 am

i got a great deal on mine, plus they wanted $4k over sticker for a jeep wrangler unlimited where i am at. Always curious why you guys bought yours, considering the LACK of aftermarket support such as lift kits, accessories that bolt on with no mods.....

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 am

Needed a real SUV that got decent mpg. Pathfinder and 4Runner were only options. 4Runner seats were terribly uncomfortable (previous gen). This is my first Nissan and I've been very impressed. Well over 100k now, off-road for work often, and no problems to speak of. Also very good on-road performance for an SUV and getting about 5mpg average better than my last two full-size rigs.

Jegan

Postby Jegan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:47 am

I needed a wide back seat for 3 child seats. After that the 6000# towing capacity won me over as I pull a 25ft Travel trailer that weighs in around 4000#. It handles the trailer great and the kids have room in the back. Beyond that, I just wanted something to go do light off roading in as well. The Pathy just fit the bill on all these items.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Have always been a big fan of Nissan. I used to drive an 89 Nissan Hardbody pickup, then a 92 Altima. However, I went away from them for a while. I was deploying in 2011 and needed a vehicle that was had more room than my 04 Mazda 6 and with a warranty which my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't have. So I traded my 04 Mazda 6 in for my 08 V8 as a certified Pre-owned. I didn't need to worry more about the wife while I was downrange than I was already going to do by just being away from her and the son.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:13 pm

in replacing my 1985 Toyota Landcruiser, I was looking for a similar vehicle:
lots of interior room (for cargo & driver)
interior versatility/seat configuration
lots of windows, good visibility
decent off-road clearance & traction
comfortable seats & legroom
excellent performance
decent fuel economy
worked out very well for us, so we bought a second one for the wife
:D

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:29 pm

I have a 95 and 03 Maxima, love the name. And the V8 was just too hard to resist. Looked at 4Runners also, but they felt a little undersized inside. Liked the Xterra, but was a bit small, the Armada was too big. Also looked at Tundra, but wanted the utility of the Pathfinder. So, I even "ordered" mine through Carmax. Came from VA, semi rusty. Compared to what I have here in NM.

It's had it's share of weird common problems, still not as impressive reliability-wise as my Maxima's, but overall I like it for what it does for me, and that's why I bought it.

So far I've ran into problems with: fuel level sensor, cracked manifold, O2 sensor, AC fan, heater/water control valve, DVD player, battery terminal, front DS pinion seal leak thus far.

My 03 Maxima is older and has only killed 1 MAF, that's IT.

My older Maxima is even more impressive with VERY minor and easy things to fix, and it has 245k, and is 18 years old.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I wanted something with a third row, decent ground clearance and 4wd. I've always like the shape of the R51. When a close relative started working with Nissan corporate it was only a matter of time, which hastened along once the 2013 changes were announced making the new one less desirable to me. The Armada is just too big for my tastes, the PF right there in the sweet spot and with employee pricing plus the last-of-the-model incentives it was too good to pass up.

I have only 20K on mine, but I'm very happy with the way it performs as a multipurpose vehicle. It's my DD but also very comfy on long road trips, taking dogs for a hike, bikes to a trailhead or a trailer of yard waste to the dump. I have had a few niggly little issues, like leaking rear glass (on my third warrantied gasket), but I love it. Looking forward to keeping it for years.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Three main things I love about the Pathfinder:

1) The way the third row seat is integrated (the fact that it folds flat).
2) The way it looks from the outside - I love the stature of the extended nose after the refresh ('08+).
3) The interior ride position - it feels very truck-like.

I got the V8 because:

1) Though not as 'peppy' as the V6, the V8 felt quieter and smoother.
2) The gas mileage isn't that much worse than the V6.
3) Upgraded rear end.
4) Towing capacity.
5) That V8 badge was calling my name.

not on the rug

pathy

Postby not on the rug » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm a huge fan of nissans and have owned a '91 240sx, a 2002 6spd maxima se, another r51 pathy, and a 6spd infiniti g35 sport sedan. I wanted something with decent offroad manners and decent towing capacity. And i liked the idea of a 3rd row seat. So i looked at xterras and fj cruisers, but it was really either this or a 4runner. And I got a great deal on a low mileage le. Plus, better towing capacity than the 4 runner. And I think they look better too

nexus_7

Postby nexus_7 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 am

I sold my 05 Xterra w/ 160000 miles, needed a little more room and a little nicer interior. I also knew the xterra well, so this was the correct choice. Bought an 08 le nav package 4x4.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:59 am

I had just paid off my 04 Tacoma base 4x4 which was in great shape, but just too small for my big butt, especially on long trips. I was looking for an 02-04 Xterra and drove an hour and a half to check out one at a Nissan dealer. Unfortunately, it had just been sold. The sales dept. had just taken in a red, 2006 LE. Carfax report showed it had been under extended warranty and had most of the typical "R51 problems" taken care of, already. It came from a upper income area just north of Richmond, VA, and you could tell it was well taken care of. It had Michelin LTX M/S2's and an Interstate Megatron battery recently installed. The driver seat looked like it had hardly ever been sat in and despite not haven been detailed, yet, the interior was almost spotless. It only had 84000 miles and was a lot more than I was wanting to spend, but some wheeling and dealing along with my Tacoma trade-in got me an acceptable deal. It's been a fairly reliable vehicle, so far. I replaced the radiator as "preventive maintenance" and had to pull the timing cover off when the primary tensioner bolt broke (fortunately it didn't jump time). Overall, I've been happy with it.

parkingpuckguy

Postby parkingpuckguy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Because I lost my mind?

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Experienced a V6 R51 when my car was in the body shop (other guy's fault of course). Reasonably enjoyed the vehicle and did not want to turn it in when my vehicle was completed. About a year later I learned they offered a V8 and was instantly amazed since the six cylinder had plenty of power.

Was not willing to pay $40K+ for a new one so kept an eye out for a couple of years for a black on black lease turn in. Finally found one in the form of an '11 V8 LE that came in off a lease early (2.5 years on a 3 year lease) due to mileage limitation/cap on the lease. CarFax and maintenance records were pristine and the deal was several grand below KBB.com pricing.

And when I saw how they bastardized the Pathfinder name when they released the R52 I figured I had better move quickly and get the last of a dying breed - truck based SUVs.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:40 am

Seriously, if one is looking for a solid SUV in this size, how many other options are there? I looked at the 4 Runner, FJ and Xterra. Sorry, but my faith in US mfrs is severely lacking due to prior experience, not that there was anything offered at the time I would even want to look at. FJ was scratched off because of a non-flat floor, somewhat limited interior dimensions, etc. Xterra was also smaller & about as common as VW bugs in the 70s-80s. The 4 Runner was the only competition, but it was also about $10k pricier with everything I wanted, and I just didn't see any reason to justify that cost.

I've been trying to figure out what to get next for a bit over a year now, and my choices keep dwindling in number. FJ will be gone. All the guys who work for Nissan keep saying that the X will also be gone. That puts the 4 Runner at the top of my list, although I will probably keep driving the Pathfinder as the 4 Runner will gain me nothing different except a vehicle with no miles. I have to say, when we picked up the Xterra, I also test drove a manual Xterra-almost bought one for myself on the spot. God, I miss driving a manual, especially one with some power attached.

2012Pathfinder_EB

Postby 2012Pathfinder_EB » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:47 am

2014 Grand Cherokee? buddy of mine picked one up, it is MINT. Lightyears ahead of the path when it comes to technology. Pretty capable off road from what i understand and 20+MPG.

I love my path, but when i get in a Grand Cherokee its night and day.

Return to “R51 General Chat”