TPMS light stays solid

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

TPMS light stays solid

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:27 am

So I've read a bunch of threads and my issue seems to be a little different. I have the info screen on my PF so I can see actual tire pressures being reported by the TPMS. We had a very fast temp change over the last couple days. When I left work last night my TPMS light blinked a bit and then went solid. I brought up the tire info screen and all my tires were in the 26-27psi range (and I had just checked them this weekend!!). I went ahead and drove home and filled all the tires back to 35psi. This morning the light is still on and the info screen is reporting the typical 33-35psi. Reading the manual it says the light will go out once the tire pressure is corrected and you've driven above 16mph. Since it's reporting tire pressure it doesn't seem like this is a battery or communication error. Any idea why the light would stay on even though it's getting information and the pressure is within specs?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 am

That is strange. The only time my TPMS light goes on is when it can't read one or more of the sensors. The info screen will usually show *** for the tire(s) not being read. But once it starts reading all four tires, the TPMS light turns off.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:07 am

Mine is always on, solid. Damn OE sensors didn't for my aftermarket wheels.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:That is strange. The only time my TPMS light goes on is when it can't read one or more of the sensors. The info screen will usually show *** for the tire(s) not being read. But once it starts reading all four tires, the TPMS light turns off.
Yeah, I've seen the *** a few times as well. For awhile I used to get it all the time at the same spot of my commute....like there was an rf frequency throwing it off. A few miles down the road and it would come back online. Hasn't happened in a long time though. Clearly my tires were low last night so there was a good reason for the light to come on. Just odd that it won't go off.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 am

NmexMAX wrote:Mine is always on, solid. Damn OE sensors didn't for my aftermarket wheels.
mines like that cause the sensors are still in the OEM wheels in my garage

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 pm

skinny2 wrote:
FLiPMaRC wrote:That is strange. The only time my TPMS light goes on is when it can't read one or more of the sensors. The info screen will usually show *** for the tire(s) not being read. But once it starts reading all four tires, the TPMS light turns off.
Yeah, I've seen the *** a few times as well. For awhile I used to get it all the time at the same spot of my commute....like there was an rf frequency throwing it off. A few miles down the road and it would come back online. Hasn't happened in a long time though. Clearly my tires were low last night so there was a good reason for the light to come on. Just odd that it won't go off.
Do you have anything plugged in to any of your accessory outlets? :lol: Just curious.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Make your tire pressure the same on all wheels - if you have over 1 psi difference, this may set your light off, as the system views pressure difference as possible leak. Keep pressure over 30 psi too.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 am

You may want to stop by a tire shop and/or the dealer and have them reset the offending TPMS sensor. If it comes on again after that point, with all tires at proper inflation, you have a sensor on its way out.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:50 am

Well my usual plan to "wait it out" paid off. I was going to stop by the tire shop yesterday and have them reset it...but I got busy. When I left work last night the light was off when I restarted. Problem solved I guess!

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:50 pm

You know what they say about herpes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:16 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:You know what they say about herpes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :P
So true. So the other night the temps dropped below zero and I now have one tpms reading *** and it hasn't gone away since Monday night. I have a feeling I had a weak battery that is now dead. Supposed to get upto 50 this weekend so I might see if it comes back around.

I have a friend with a spare set of aftermarket tpms sensors. Does anyone know if you can mount aftermarket tpms in the Nissan rims? I thought someone around here said you couldn't. I'll search as well.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:07 am

Disallow (Terry) said he went to Costco and got his fixed.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... light=tpms

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:56 am

Well last week I stopped by the tire shop that I use on a regular basis. They tested and said all the individual sensors were working fine (picked up on their scanner) so they reset the system and the light went out. So far it hasn't come back. Lets see if it stays out....

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I need to fix my TPS issue ...with a chunk of black electrical tape to cover up the light :twisted:

I have one or more dead sensors and it has been down to -40 here recently, making even good sensors useless due to temperature-induced pressure fluctuations.

And guess what? I know how to use a pressure gauge / can feel a significantly under inflated tire while driving :mrgreen:

H.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Heisenberg wrote: And guess what? I know how to use a pressure gauge / can feel a significantly under inflated tire while driving :mrgreen:
I will say that I was in that thought camp when these new sensors came out years ago, but I've learned to appreciate them a bit. I have over a million miles under my belt and up until last January had never had a flat while out on the road. Fast forward to last January it was a lovely -10°F with wind chills and my TPMS light kicks on blinking. Probably once a month since I've owned this the TPMS starts blinking and if I flip to the tpms screen I'll see the *** display and know it's nothing. This time I see one tire is 28. About ten seconds later it's 27. Uh oh. I'm on a very busy highway that would be no fun to try and change a tire. Luckily I have time to make it to a ramp that I know has a nice wide berm to (hopefully) not get run over. It's down to 15psi at this point and I was just starting to notice weird handling and more drag from the flat tire. If I would have noticed it at that point I would have had no time to plan an exit strategy.

Maybe you would notice the tire going flat on a nice summer day, cruising the back roads. But on a nasty cold day with 40mph winds and driving on the highway....wasn't noticeable.

So as big of a PITA these sensors CAN be (this is the only vehicle I've owned where I've had problems) I'm more of a fan after that incident. Never mind it's great for the people that never check their tires and they're the ones I'm scared to share the road with.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”