1999.5 Nissan PF - KEEP OR NOT? Decisions Decisions...

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

miamicuse

1999.5 Nissan PF - KEEP OR NOT? Decisions Decisions...

Postby miamicuse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:38 pm

I have a 1999.5 PF SE Limited Edition and last year or two I have done some major repair one after another and every time I debate if I should let it go and get something newer.

Mileage is near 200K, right now 197,000. I have been doing routine maintenance and took good care of the vehicle.

KBB.com says the private party value is around $1200.

Just this year alone I have done (besides maintenance):

New front brakes
Engine belts
Practically all the hoses
AC blower motor
Rear main seal (this was a BIG $$$ one)
New water pump
Timing belt
2 CAM & 1 crank seal
New starter
New idle control valve

...and now the latest the mechanic told me I will be needing:

Power steering rack leaking fluid - need to take apart and replace parts
AC compressor very weak not cooling much
Needs 4 new tires

The steering rack leak I think is around 500, 4 new tires + alignment at least $400, I am not sure how much a new AC compressor probably $400? So looking at a total cost exceeding the car value. Sort of the same deal when I had to replace the rear main seal I struggled with it and then decided to go ahead with the repair.

How do you know it's time?

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 pm

The vehicle is, and has been, worth more to you by getting you from point A to point B than money. Such is the joy of older vehicle ownership. It was really close to "the time" when you had the rear seal done. All cars need tires so you can't fault it for that. A complete remanufactured steering rack unit can be had from Rock Auto for $180 after the core exchange. Is it just weeping or leaving drops on the driveway? If it's a minor weep I wouldn't worry about it. AC compressor $265+a recharge and no core exchange. Can you do the work yourself? If not then you have labor charges. If it were me, I would get the parts and install them myself...this time. From the sounds of it you have already addressed a bunch of issues that probably won't resurface in the time you will have the vehicle in service. If anything major surfaces I would cut it loose.

miamicuse

Postby miamicuse » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:02 pm

I have kept the vehicle is familiarity and to some degree sentimental reasons. Also my mechanic kept saying "they don't make it like they used to..." and told me to stay away from newer Nissan PF.

I don't know.

Is there some sort of statistics done on the mileage of a Nissan PF when they make it to a junk yard? LOL.

I guess I am looking for some opinion based on experience. If the experts tell me 150K is a critical milestone when a Nissan PF goes from relatively trouble free to things starting to break down one after another, that would be nice to know.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

miamicuse wrote: I guess I am looking for some opinion based on experience. If the experts tell me 150K is a critical milestone when a Nissan PF goes from relatively trouble free to things starting to break down one after another, that would be nice to know.
You are not only at 200k..you have a 15 year old vehicle...yes. you are at the point where one thing after another will be an issue. From this point, its never going to magically be maintenance free again like when you got it. You have to decide, based upon your personal situation, how much of the "whack-a-mole" game you want to put up with it.
I'm in the process of swapping an engine/tranny from a donor into a nice body. I got the donor free and the good body unit pretty cheap. It's just my time and some incidentals I have in it. Ultimately, my son will drive it. From this point on the most I will spend on it is to replace the tires if needed. If something more significant happens...Either he can fix it (if he feels so inclined) if not..I'll probably take the cash for scrapping it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”