No heat at idle (long post)

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 am

I'm having the same issues as in the original post.

I bled (burped) the cooling system and got heat after revving the engine. Then got serious heat at highway speed, but when I let off the gas it started to blow cold air again. It also still blows cold air at idle.

Has anyone else successfully resolved this issue?

I went to my mechanic (indy) and he's saying it may be the water pump.

Any ideas?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:47 am

There have been a number who have had similar issues due to a bad heater pump, which is mentioned within this thread. It's mounted to the firewall in the engine compartment on the driver's side of center. It looks like an electric heater cock.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:25 pm

So the heater pump needed to be replaced, & that's all that was needed to resolve the problem?

This thread mentions the Heater Pump, but says that the thermostat fixed the problem, and the thread has no final conclusion.

I was hoping to get a definitive answer.

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 pm

If the thermostat is bad, it's either going to be stuck shut and overheat or stuck open and run too cold. The coolant gauge needle is normally centered in the gauge, so if you see the coolant gauge needle running near the cold side of the gauge, I would recommend replacing the thermostat. If the coolant is reaching normal operating temperature and the system has been thoroughly bled, I would look at the heater pump and air-mix mode door operation.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Thank you sir.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 am

The incessant cold (2 months of rarely rising above -20 C) combined with the lack of a garage made me defer the bleeding procedure to the dealer while the Pathfinder was in for an oil change. They performed that service for just-about-free as the service writer suggested that it may not have been bled properly when the new rad was installed almost 12 months ago. (I have no complaint about this dealership!)

The result: It's a bleepin convection oven! The interior heats up very quickly, even at idle. So much so that my wife was turning down the heat. And that NEVER happens...

H.

toaster

Postby toaster » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Recently had the same issue, no heat at idle and heat sometimes during acceleration. Dealer found a crack in front side of the radiator during pressure test. Couple of questions for you guys,

1. Did you replace with Nissan or aftermarket radiator?
2. Would this radiator be covered by warranty extension or do you have to have the internal coolant leak?

Thanks

KPath05

Postby KPath05 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Were you guys able to fix this? This may be a stupid question, but are you leaking coolant? Keep an eye on your coolant level. I had this same exact problem and added coolant and my heat at idle came back. Then I noticed I had a slow leak coming from the coolant lines just inside the right rear tire near the exhaust. There was a fitting that was rusting causing it to leak. My mechanic said he found another one further forward along that line, so he ran new coolant lines and it fixed the problem.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”