OME Suspension Upgrade FINISHED

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:25 am

NVSteve wrote: stock:
driver front 34 5/8"
pass front 35"
driver rear 34 7/8"
pass rear 34 7/8"
bottom of hitch 19 3/8"

OME:
driver front 36 1/2"
pass front 36 5/8"
driver rear 36 1/2"
pass rear 36 1/2"
bottom of hitch 21 1/2"
I haven't measured recently, but I'm guessing mine has settled a bit. So, less than 2" of lift all the way around & no problems. People on the PCOA forum have also been reporting that the lift provides a bit more than ARB's specs. If I'm lucky, I'll have my alignment done on Monday if I have time. I'm curious as to what the shop will say, if they find it is out of whack, or whatever.

Fofiddy,

This may be a stupid question, but did you check the part numbers on the rear OME springs against the part numbers you ordered?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:53 pm

Guys,

I think I can help out here. I have installed the ARB OME kit on 2 Pathys. One was an 05 4x4, and the second is an 08 V8 4x4.
Now, the V8 4x4 is a bit heavier up front, so I went with the HD front springs. The OME kit works for both the V6 and V8 models, and it works real well. Fit was no problem, and I did everything myself (except for the front spring compression). Had over 60K on the 05 and now I have over 11K on the 08, and I have off-roaded them both pretty hard. I would never go back to stock.

In terms of the alignment, I had the same problems with the VDC slip going on at certain times. This was for BOTH vehicles. I originally took it to PepBoys twice and they just couldn't get it right. Then I took it to Firestone and they were able to get it the first time. Even with a small rear toe being off like FoFiddys.

So the OME kit works for both the V6 and V8 models. You just have to find a good place to align. Now, I don't know about the 2WD models.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:57 pm

I was able to get the PF into the shop today for an alignment. The only problem is that I don't know how far out of spec is still acceptable, or even normal compared to other PFs & those with the OME. I also don't know if they numbers they use for spec are truly spec. I'll see if I can scan and post the printout they gave me today, as I am pretty clueless when it comes to alignment since I've never had to deal with it before.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:22 pm

Let me find my printout so you can compare.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I admit I feel like a complete idiot for not knowing anything about the whole alignment thing, but I guess that is how one learns? Here's my printout (sorry for the large size):

I can obviously read what is in/out of spec, but I just don't know if it should be a concern or not. I didn't have time to talk to the guy when I picked it up, otherwise I would have asked him there.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 pm

NVSteve wrote: Fofiddy,

This may be a stupid question, but did you check the part numbers on the rear OME springs against the part numbers you ordered?
Yeah I triple checked and even confirmed with Rocky Road. these are my specs as it stands It wouldn't hurt getting a second alignment check:
Image[/url]

So Ragpoa, Firestone was able to get everything to spec? ( I ask cause I know they have a lifetime alignment program) So now your able to push it around corners without any premature VDC intervention or does it still happen occasionally? Do you have a print out you can post?
I know my specs don't appear to be that far off but either the alignment or the 2.5" in the rear are making me feel like I'm getting blown around on the highway (66+mph) on a calm day. I did the entire installation myself as well including the coils, everything fit right in pretty easily. The rear coils did require the slightest bit of muscle but if you pop in the top and bottom rubber bumpers in before you try to put the new spring in the effort is minimal.

As for the realized lift being up .4" off the stated lift for the front but over an inch in the rear... I'd figure the sensors in the VDC might perceive this as an extra degree of grade.

I can slow down my driving since the ride is so much more rewarding now that I don't mind putting around. My fears are: premature tire ware and CV/axel/diff ware in the future since I'm thinking of keeping the Path until at least the 100k mile mark.

Old engineering creed goes: On time, To Spec, Or on Budget; Pick two.
Seems there are no exceptions :?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Fo,
Firestone did not get everything to spec, but pretty close.
So far, not one VDC problem. To also check if VDC was working properly, I went up a long steep slippery/loose hill and the VDC did its wonders.

NVS,
They should be able to do better than that. I believe so since both my Pathy's I had were able to come really close to specs with the OME.

Here is my printout:
If you look closely in each box, you will see what should be the correct specs.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Here's my 2008 V8 4x4

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:21 am

Apparently I am retarded and can't feel a vehicle out of alignment. I felt a minor pull sometimes and odd things over bumps and what not but I attributed that to the lift and tires. But on smooth straight roads there were no issues. Anyways, I went to a tire shop and got an alignment. Here are my Before numbers first, and After numbers second. I could tell a difference immediately but I will be hitting some back roads tonight to verify. Hitting a bump on a curve used to be a pretty sketchy affair.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:05 pm

ragpaoa wrote:Here's my 2008 V8 4x4
Nice rims.. what are they? :)
Last edited by sveintore on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:15 pm

ha .. stock 2008 V8 rims.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 pm

ragpaoa wrote:ha .. stock 2008 V8 rims.
Okay.. Haven't seen them here in norway :/

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:28 am

Blink where did you go to get your's lined up? I was considering making an appt with Firestone since they seemed able to do Ragpoa's right without any trouble. I noticed that you had a similar printout I'm guessing this is the Windows based alignment software. Which I'm learning from people in the auto service industry is the safest bet. Also looks like they missed getting your rears to dead nuts on spec as well.
I'll be looking forward to ARB's answer somtime this week. I'm thinking the rear spring needs to be 5-10mm shorter. But I'll see what I can do about getting a alignment second opinion. Just don't want to bring it to a dealer...

Ragpoa. hanks for the ray of hope on the alignments.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 am

Not knowing anything about the OME shocks are those serviceable or not. Thanks.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 am

From what I've seen they are non servicable just stamped and welded.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”