The dreaded coolant in the transmission happened to me :'(

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

babyrocky1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:13 pm

The dreaded coolant in the transmission happened to me :'(

Postby babyrocky1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:08 pm

ok so my baby 06 pathy 190 000km went to the shop monday with a busted rad got the call it went into the transmission. what do I do now

I had the transmission flushed and was told it could last a week or years they dont know...

should i put up the cash to rebuilt the transmission (told 5000 but could shop around) ... buy a used transmission or sell (I still owe 9,000 on it)

I love my pathy but I freaked out... Money is tight and i cannot afford to make the wrong decision.

anyone experienced this??


User avatar
ShipFixer
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Was it driving roughly? If not then self-destruction may not be imminent.

I'd do the oil cooler bypass with the new radiator to ensure it doesn't happen again, but then drive until the transmission actually shows signs of trouble. From other people's experience it seems like at some point in the future the water intrusion is going to mean the solenoids will stop functioning correctly, but it might not be tomorrow.

I think at least a few people across the forums have flushed it early, bypassed, and moved on without further issue for a long, long time (if ever).

skinny2
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: BFE, Ohio

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:36 am

I might be tempted to flush it again. Fairly cheap option. I wouldn't go the rebuild route until you start having symptoms. $5k sounds pretty high for a rebuild so definitely shop around. You're very upside down I would think if you still owe $9k.

User avatar
eieio
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:42 am
Location: Prescott, Az.

Postby eieio » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:24 am

it's very sad that you have this grief, but with all the information you needed to avoid it, why didn't you? :?
your topic from over 2 years ago:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=#50789

babyrocky1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Postby babyrocky1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:53 am

eieio wrote:it's very sad that you have this grief, but with all the information you needed to avoid it, why didn't you? :?
your topic from over 2 years ago:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=#50789
I know I'm really upset I didn't get it done. when I first bought it I called around trying to find someone who could do it most places I called said they had no idea what I was talking about, I got a few people who sounded like they had no idea but said they would do it for a few hundred dollars. I didn't want to risk someone doing something they didn't know about to it just to change me money and possibly messing up the car "fixing" something they didn't know how to do. Then some time passed and I figured my car was one of the ones that was OK as I had put a bunch of KM on it. I was taking it to nissan for all work on it even maintenance and relied on them for any troubleshooting and recommendations.

It is really hard to deal with mechanics i'm finding... I know a bit about the mechanics of my truck but they usually try to get more money from me or give me some crazy reason as to why I have to fix something so I do it right away. i.e.. "the head pipe" was rattling and I was told it was going to be 800 to fix and that if I didn't fix it that second it was going to be sucked into the engine and I would need a new engine. did some research and i got it welded for 75.

Even all this work that was done when the rad went. They charged me $1030. For a new rad a small tube and a rad flush and trans flush. I know thats high but I was told I was getting a really good price etc.

Mechanics really do treat females WAY different then males.

Believe me I will be kicking my self everyday about not pushing to get the bypass done I just didn't want to make a mistake with who did it.

babyrocky1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Postby babyrocky1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:01 am

ShipFixer wrote:Was it driving roughly? If not then self-destruction may not be imminent.

I'd do the oil cooler bypass with the new radiator to ensure it doesn't happen again, but then drive until the transmission actually shows signs of trouble. From other people's experience it seems like at some point in the future the water intrusion is going to mean the solenoids will stop functioning correctly, but it might not be tomorrow.

I think at least a few people across the forums have flushed it early, bypassed, and moved on without further issue for a long, long time (if ever).
About a week before it happened when I would stop a few seconds later it would jump and a few times when just starting to accelerate this happened maybe 5 times in total driving about 2 hours each day. I haven't noticed anything since the flush.

what would be a price to look for when a mechanic is doing the bypass?

User avatar
eieio
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:42 am
Location: Prescott, Az.

Postby eieio » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 am

babyrocky1 wrote:
ShipFixer wrote:Was it driving roughly? If not then self-destruction may not be imminent.

I'd do the oil cooler bypass with the new radiator to ensure it doesn't happen again, but then drive until the transmission actually shows signs of trouble. From other people's experience it seems like at some point in the future the water intrusion is going to mean the solenoids will stop functioning correctly, but it might not be tomorrow.

I think at least a few people across the forums have flushed it early, bypassed, and moved on without further issue for a long, long time (if ever).
About a week before it happened when I would stop a few seconds later it would jump and a few times when just starting to accelerate this happened maybe 5 times in total driving about 2 hours each day. I haven't noticed anything since the flush.

what would be a price to look for when a mechanic is doing the bypass?
the by-pass takes about 45 minutes, with no additional parts necessary
i think the majority here has done it themselves
easy as pie
with the instructions in this forum to do the work, and about an hours' worth of labor (or less), it's done
labor rates vary, but figure $80-$125 per hour
:|


Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”