About to be new owner, radiator question

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 28, 2020 1:50 am

I had heard about it and was directed to Offroad Gorilla's site almost a year ago and they had a notice that due to problems, they were no longer selling them. Stillen also stopped selling them around the same time.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 pm

smj999smj wrote:I had heard about it and was directed to Offroad Gorilla's site almost a year ago and they had a notice that due to problems, they were no longer selling them. Stillen also stopped selling them around the same time.
Ok, now I recall that. I get a "page not found" from Offroad Gorilla, but Google still has the cached version of that page for the 7029 (Frontier/Pathfinder/Xterra version).

Original link: http://www.offroadgorilla.com/shop/csf- ... inder-2005

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Wondering if there wasn't a dispute about it, as I can't find any discussion on any forum via Google anymore, but I seem to recall it somewhere. Oh well.

Stillen is selling the CSF radiator for just about everything other than the VQ40DE trucks, and there are now several retailers selling the 7029 version. Since they're all pretty close in design, maybe there was a specific bad batch or something that Offroad Gorilla received, or something about the VQ40DE fitment (which again isn't that far off from the Titan or VQ37 stuff, so...)

Anyways, I can verify there are no leaks in mine :-D I had to go back and tighten one of the hoses because I was moving fast (and thought to myself on the highway...I wonder if I really tightened that one enough?) but that was my fault. I'm very happy with it, especially when it's hot out!

ikulichkin

Re: About to be new owner, radiator question

Postby ikulichkin » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:26 am

Hi All,

When changing radiator. Is it very beneficial to use the radiator flush?
If so, do I replace all antifreeze? The manual says there are 3.5 gallons of it.
From reading previous posts I understand either blue or green can be used. If i leave old green coolant in the system, is it ok to add blue one on top?
I have 2009 Pathy SE

Thanks!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:45 am

Nissan has been using long-life (green) and extended long-life (blue) coolant for years; the blue coolant started being phased-in around 2010. They are actually Pentosin Pentafrost A2 (green) and Pentafrost A3 (blue), respectively. You can find the Pentosin in Autozone stores and some other part stores, as well as from Rockauto.com. The green coolant is sold as a concentrate (mix with distilled water) and the blue is sold only as a pre-mix. Green has an initial service interval of 90,000 miles and then at 60,000 mile intervals, thereafter. Blue is actually good for up to 135,000 miles, but Nissan calls for 105,000 mile intervals. They are completely cross-compatible, however, service life of the blue coolant will be lessened as per the amount of green coolant in it. It's hard to get all of the coolant out of the system, especially if you have rear heat. Unless you have some severe under-servicing issues with the coolant system, I wouldn't recommend using a chemical flush. If you replace the radiator and just drain the system, you will replace about 2-gallons of coolant. That should be fine, however, if you want to get more out and are bit of a glutton for punishment, there is a drain on the passenger side of the block that's a pain to get to, IIRC. Zerex Asian Blue coolant is a pretty good aftermarket alternative for the Nissan blue, as well.

cqe5009

Postby cqe5009 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:23 am

I have a 2011 with 112k miles. I went to check my radiator part number and the sticker that contains the part number is missing. Any other way to determine the part number of the radiator?

ikulichkin

Postby ikulichkin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:48 pm

smj999smj wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:45 am
Nissan has been using long-life (green) and extended long-life (blue) coolant for years; the blue coolant started being phased-in around 2010. They are actually Pentosin Pentafrost A2 (green) and Pentafrost A3 (blue), respectively. You can find the Pentosin in Autozone stores and some other part stores, as well as from Rockauto.com. The green coolant is sold as a concentrate (mix with distilled water) and the blue is sold only as a pre-mix. Green has an initial service interval of 90,000 miles and then at 60,000 mile intervals, thereafter. Blue is actually good for up to 135,000 miles, but Nissan calls for 105,000 mile intervals. They are completely cross-compatible, however, service life of the blue coolant will be lessened as per the amount of green coolant in it. It's hard to get all of the coolant out of the system, especially if you have rear heat. Unless you have some severe under-servicing issues with the coolant system, I wouldn't recommend using a chemical flush. If you replace the radiator and just drain the system, you will replace about 2-gallons of coolant. That should be fine, however, if you want to get more out and are bit of a glutton for punishment, there is a drain on the passenger side of the block that's a pain to get to, IIRC. Zerex Asian Blue coolant is a pretty good aftermarket alternative for the Nissan blue, as well.
I appreciate in depth answer. Feel confident now :D

ikulichkin

Postby ikulichkin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:50 pm

cqe5009 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:23 am
I have a 2011 with 112k miles. I went to check my radiator part number and the sticker that contains the part number is missing. Any other way to determine the part number of the radiator?
if you have 2011, you are most likely clear of any radiator problems. 2011 and 2012 years comes up around this forum quiet often and it looks like it's clear of pretty much all the bugs

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:50 pm

The stickers were stuck on the radiators pretty well from the factory. If the sticker has fallen off, there should still be a sign of where it was on the top tank either in dried adhesive from the sticker or a rectangular discoloration where the sticker was. The Nissan tanks that I've seen also had "NISSAN" molded into the plastic tank on the passenger side. If that is missing and there is no evidence that a Calsonic label was actually on the tank, it's probably that somebody already replaced it with an aftermarket unit. While the failures in 2011 models are rare, I have heard of about three or four radiators between both Pathfinders and Frontiers that did fail and had the P/N 21460-ZL11A. I also heard of one Frontier owner with a 2013 model that had his cooler failure in his factory radiator, but I would call that a big exception to the norm. I've still yet to hear of a cooler failure on any of the aftermarket replacements for the 05+ Nissan trucks/SUV's.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”