VAIS Rattle on later model VQ??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Willflyforfood

VAIS Rattle on later model VQ??

Postby Willflyforfood » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:33 am

The internet seems to indicate this is a 2005 problem only, but I have a 2011 pathy V6 that has a weird rattle that comes on very abruptly around 2000-2300rpm, only under load and only noticeable through maybe 3rd gear. Has anyone ever had the VAIS rattle in later model engines? I’ve got the service bulletin, just can’t figure out what else if could possibly be, have checked heat shields and doesn’t behave or sound like a timing chain I don’t think. Thanks in advance!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 pm

It was a issue for some select timing chain assembly parts.
2011 are supposed to have the updated part.
But reports due sometimes surface of old parts being used until exhausted.
So even though you have a '11 and the chance is small that this is the issue its possible.

Try to take a vid with the noise so people on here can listen to it.
(I wont be able to tell since i never had the issue but others will)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:04 am

Palmerwind...he's not talking about the upper timing chain issue. There was a problem with some of the VIAS on 2005 VQ40DE engines which was addressed in a TSB. It sits under the engine cover at the front of the intake plenum.

Willflyforfood...I haven't heard of the issue occurring on any post-2005 models. If yours is faulty, you are better off purchasing a new part rather than repair per the TSB, because the TSB parts list is intended for bulk repairs as would be performed by a dealer, as opposed to a repair for a single vehicle.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:12 pm

Just to throw it out there, because apparently no one else on the internet ever had this exact issue...

I did the VIAS rattle fix in my '05 along with a whole host of other things, because I had the worst vibration and rattle noise possible right around 2600 RPM's or so. To the point where I would avoid getting stuck at that RPM whenever possible. After a couple years (years!) I eventually found it. It was/is a thick cable running alongside the shifter assembly inside the center console. I think it's the parking brake or something but don't remember. It was vibrating up against a metal hole it runs through at the front end. Stuffed a bunch of foam and rags or something around it, no more rattle.

My final diagnosis involved driving the truck with the center console cover off, on the highway where I could get the RPM into range and hold it while listening/feeling around in there. It was a while ago but I might have been driving while using my auto stethoscope. :?

It's possible my truck was missing some kind of grommet or rubber block that holds that cable in place. Or it's also possible that some number of Nissans develop this noise at some point and the owners don't care or accept it. Based on the number of VQ's I hear driving by with the cam chain tensioner noise, I'm gonna bet on the latter.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:45 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Just to throw it out there, because apparently no one else on the internet ever had this exact issue...

I did the VIAS rattle fix in my '05 along with a whole host of other things, because I had the worst vibration and rattle noise possible right around 2600 RPM's or so. To the point where I would avoid getting stuck at that RPM whenever possible. After a couple years (years!) I eventually found it. It was/is a thick cable running alongside the shifter assembly inside the center console. I think it's the parking brake or something but don't remember. It was vibrating up against a metal hole it runs through at the front end. Stuffed a bunch of foam and rags or something around it, no more rattle.

My final diagnosis involved driving the truck with the center console cover off, on the highway where I could get the RPM into range and hold it while listening/feeling around in there. It was a while ago but I might have been driving while using my auto stethoscope. :?

It's possible my truck was missing some kind of grommet or rubber block that holds that cable in place. Or it's also possible that some number of Nissans develop this noise at some point and the owners don't care or accept it. Based on the number of VQ's I hear driving by with the cam chain tensioner noise, I'm gonna bet on the latter.
That sounds like the shift control cable and I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be some sort of grommet or insulator in that metal bracket. It's been a couple of years since I had a console out of my 08 model.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:36 am

Yes, it was the shifter control cable. I found the pictures I took at the time and posted here (somewhere) in 2011. I don’t recall that there was something obviously missing but this cable vibrated against something around it. I wrapped it in felt or a rag, including whatever it was passing through, and the noise went away.

If it was in 2011, then it took me three years to find this noise. I thought it was in the engine, along the firewall, etc. I still have foam and other things along lines on the engine side of the firewall. And via biannual DoD tests I can say my hearing is very, very good. :-/

Anyway...something else to look at!

Willflyforfood

Postby Willflyforfood » Thu May 14, 2020 5:46 pm

Just to help anybody else who may be having this noise the VIAS valve WAS the rattle on my 11 pathy. I replaced it with a new OEM one and the noise was gone instantly. This issue does not appear to be entirely confined to 2005 models.

Dsgtvq14

Postby Dsgtvq14 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:43 am

Willflyforfood wrote:Just to help anybody else who may be having this noise the VIAS valve WAS the rattle on my 11 pathy. I replaced it with a new OEM one and the noise was gone instantly. This issue does not appear to be entirely confined to 2005 models.
Hi all, new on here and purchased a 2011 pf a few months ago. Want to share my experience with this issue. Had that rattle at 2k rpm and thought it was trans or exhaust related. I pulled the vacuum line to the vias and plugged it and problem has been gone for a few weeks. I’ll deal with the power loss down low in the meantime.

I called a Nissan dealer and spoke to a guy in parts about if the VIAS had been redesigned since the 05 tsb. He said no but I don’t think he new what he was talking about. Could not find anything online to confirm a redesign in later years of the r51.

May just take your experience as proof of a change and replace that thing with a new unit.

Dsgtvq14

Postby Dsgtvq14 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Dsgtvq14 wrote:
Willflyforfood wrote:Just to help anybody else who may be having this noise the VIAS valve WAS the rattle on my 11 pathy. I replaced it with a new OEM one and the noise was gone instantly. This issue does not appear to be entirely confined to 2005 models.
Hi all, new on here and purchased a 2011 pf a few months ago. Want to share my experience with this issue. Had that rattle at 2k rpm and thought it was trans or exhaust related. I pulled the vacuum line to the vias and plugged it and problem has been gone for a few weeks. I’ll deal with the power loss down low in the meantime.

I called a Nissan dealer and spoke to a guy in parts about if the VIAS had been redesigned since the 05 tsb. He said no but I don’t think he new what he was talking about. Could not find anything online to confirm a redesign in later years of the r51.

May just take your experience as proof of a change and replace that thing with a new unit.
So called again today and gave a modified part number for the vias I found online for frontiers. Now same guy tells me the other part I have asked him for a few weeks ago is discontinued. So I ordered it and hope this part solves the issue. Want that torque back at 2k lol.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue May 19, 2020 6:35 pm

If you Google around, the fix for the VIAS rattle is very easy and I think it's in the TSB, no parts required. Nissan specs a specific epoxy that is temperature resistant. It's open, epoxy in place, re-set, and you are good to go. It wasn't the source of my rattle but also was too easy to not give it a shot.

Tmo2

Re: VAIS Rattle on later model VQ??

Postby Tmo2 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:17 am

My 2012 frontier sv has the VAIS rattle. They say only 2005, but not so. I had the timing chain replaced by the dealer(under warranty) and I found out about this issue through forums like this. I put a golf tee in the vacuum line going to the valve and no more noise. Just want to share my experience to possibly save someone time and money.

TooMuchControl

Re: VAIS Rattle on later model VQ??

Postby TooMuchControl » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:55 pm

you just plugged the line? Interesting. I wonder what if any penalty there is in doing this.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”