I by-passed my in radiator tranny cooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:31 pm

edited for the sake of me not knowing what the hell I'm talking about
:oops:
Last edited by jrjohn77 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:17 pm

jrjohn77 wrote:My 06 is about to turn 80k, so I decided to install an aftermarket transmission cooler and perform the bypass. Houston is simply too hot to perform the bypass alone. After some research, I found the following cooler on etrailer....
http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission-Co ... 2006755950
It appears to work on multiple applications and they provided a couple of great instructional videos. I'll give it a whirl and provide an update.
where will you mount the cooler?
in front of the existing cooler?

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Last edited by jrjohn77 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 pm

jrjohn77 wrote:
eieio wrote:where will you mount the cooler?
in front of the existing cooler?
I'm not sure yet, but I looked under the hood today and there's plenty of room behind the grill. I'll post pics and a write up once completed. The part shipped out today, so I'm hoping to perform the install this weekend.

Wish me luck! :lol:
Good Luck! :)

JackHerer

Just bought one

Postby JackHerer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:25 pm

I went car shopping yesterday and ended up getting a 2007 Pathfinder 4x2. It was fully loaded 88k miles and a great price! Then I got home and started to read about the transmission issue and wanted to throw up. After losing a lot sleep last night and having to work all day today, I will be doing the mod tomorrow! Checked the radiator and its as neon green as it should be so I think Im still safe. I realize that there is a seperate trans cooler on the radiator. That will be enough for the transmission right? I won't being towing often even though it has the tow package.

BattleWagon

Re: Just bought one

Postby BattleWagon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 pm

JackHerer wrote:I went car shopping yesterday and ended up getting a 2007 Pathfinder 4x2. It was fully loaded 88k miles and a great price! Then I got home and started to read about the transmission issue and wanted to throw up. After losing a lot sleep last night and having to work all day today, I will be doing the mod tomorrow! Checked the radiator and its as neon green as it should be so I think Im still safe. I realize that there is a seperate trans cooler on the radiator. That will be enough for the transmission right? I won't being towing often even though it has the tow package.
I believe the cooler on the radiator is the one that causes issues.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 am

JackHerer wrote:I went car shopping yesterday and ended up getting a 2007 Pathfinder 4x2. It was fully loaded 88k miles and a great price! Then I got home and started to read about the transmission issue and wanted to throw up. After losing a lot sleep last night and having to work all day today, I will be doing the mod tomorrow! Checked the radiator and its as neon green as it should be so I think Im still safe. I realize that there is a seperate trans cooler on the radiator. That will be enough for the transmission right? I won't being towing often even though it has the tow package.
Jack

you should be fine...do the bypass as soon as you can. I live in GA and did the bypass about 4 months ago...92k on my 06 PF..never changed the trans fluid and still shifting good.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 am

BattleWagon wrote:I believe the cooler on the radiator is the one that causes issues.
important clarification: it is the cooler inside the bottom of the radiator that causes issues

JackHerer

Postby JackHerer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 pm

So I did the bypass this morning. It was pretty simple once I saw exactly what I was looking at. Found some transmission flush at Napa Auto parts. Gonna flush out the bottom of the radiator so if it fails it won't get mixed with any old tranny fluid. Saw this suggestion somewhere in this thread. A small amount of tranny fluid leaked out of cooler hose and it was deep red so I'm feeling good about my new vehicle again!

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 pm

JackHerer wrote: so I'm feeling good about my new vehicle again!
I know how you felt. I felt the same way 2 yr ago when I bought mine. Thought I did my research until found this forum and others. What I did was have the radiator replaced by a local shop, just for piece of mind. While others may disagree with me, I feel the extra cooling that the radiator provides is there for a reason… to avoid cooking the fluid which affects the lubricity. Plus I tow sometimes.

I also preemptively replaced the spark plugs a little early “thinking” it will help save the cats. Time will tell if that was a good move. Dealer thought I was wasting my money [$300].

Think Nissan is the only problem child out there? Think again. The Xterra boards rant about the same issues we have, but some over there mention the problems Jeep has that are much greater in magnitude. Been looking to replace our 96 Accord. Found a 01 Acura [luxury Honda] which needed a trans & air bag. Try to find one at a junk yard!!! Customer reviews on that model complain that they had as many as 4 trans replaced in 2 yr under warranty. I think the bags are under recall due to its extreme explosive nature. Then I considered a 06 Civic. Customer reviews on that model complain of rear tires wearing out prematurely, 3rd gear of the AT messing up, and sun visors that fall off the glass. Honda has a good PR team to downplay their issues, tho.

So I try to keep my blood pressure under control by realizing that quality today is not put in before the name attached [Play of words from the Zenith TV ads of the 60’s & 70’s] . I had a used 98 Tahoe that cost me about as much in repairs as I paid for it, yet brainwashed to think it was “acceptable”. So, everybody needs to have an AAA card plus some cash handy for those occasions when the vehicle decides to take a dump, and it will, just don’t know when.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:10 am

JackHerer wrote:So I did the bypass this morning. It was pretty simple once I saw exactly what I was looking at. Found some transmission flush at Napa Auto parts. Gonna flush out the bottom of the radiator so if it fails it won't get mixed with any old tranny fluid. Saw this suggestion somewhere in this thread. A small amount of tranny fluid leaked out of cooler hose and it was deep red so I'm feeling good about my new vehicle again!
Jack..afterwards, you may want to blow some compressed air through the cooler to blow out any remaining flush or ATF left. I did this with about 25lbs.

mc01ta

Postby mc01ta » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 pm

I must be the dumbest person in this board...can someone please post a 1 2 3 etc step by step CORRECT way to do this mod for idiots like me. I have an 07' bought new w 65k no current problems bit want to do this mid. Is rather not have to buy another cooler if necessary and just do the bypass. Please list parts and part numbers if possible, where you bought or recommend buying the parts from. I've tried to read all pages and also the link to the frontier forum with a huge migraine. It seems after reading there is a few different ways and parts people have used which us making this confusing for dumbasses like me

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:51 pm

mc01ta wrote:I must be the dumbest person in this board...can someone please post a 1 2 3 etc step by step CORRECT way to do this mod for idiots like me. I have an 07' bought new w 65k no current problems bit want to do this mid. Is rather not have to buy another cooler if necessary and just do the bypass. Please list parts and part numbers if possible, where you bought or recommend buying the parts from. I've tried to read all pages and also the link to the frontier forum with a huge migraine. It seems after reading there is a few different ways and parts people have used which us making this confusing for dumbasses like me
MC

you may get several answers..but here is how I did mine:

Parts used: 3/8" double barbed brass connector 2- 5/16" black vaccuum caps. 4- hose clamps

you have two hoses going into the bottom of the radiator, held on by a spring clamp. I happened to have 2 pair of hose clamp pliers...so I clamped both of these hoses shut. I then pulled the off off of the radiator and quickly slipped on the 5/16" vaccuum cap and tightened with hose clamp..then I did the other side the same way. Now, join the 2 hose ends together with the barbed connector and secure with hose clamps.

I then took off one of the vaccuum caps from the radiator and let any remaining ATF come out. Even used some compressed air to be sure and seal it back up. $5 or so in parts. Ziptie the connected hoses up so there isnt any kinks. Run engine to operating temp and check ATF fluid properly for correct amount and look for any leaks.

jrjohn77

Postby jrjohn77 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Last edited by jrjohn77 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mc01ta

Postby mc01ta » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Thank you! I liked the videos, what do you mean he is by_passing the oil cooler that way? Maybe I misunderstood you. I have an 07' pathfinder, do we have an oil cooler? If I followed his video would I mess anything up doing if his way?

It looks like he reused clamps and re-routed the tubes

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”