SERVICE ENGINE SOON

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

SERVICE ENGINE SOON

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Posting here because I'm not sure if it belongs anywhere else...

So this has happened twice now. 2005 Pathy, 95k miles.

I am driving along and everything is fine. All of a sudden the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on. Truck is running completely normal, no hicuups or anything. Light stays on for a couple days (maybe a drive cycle?) then one time I start up the truck and the light is no longer on.

I was going to bring it to my normal mechanic so he can tell me why the light is coming on, but if it is off is he going to be able to find anything out when he scans the computer?

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:24 pm

The computer does have a memory and saves check engine / maintance
Codes.
Did you just put gas in before the light came on?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Most auto parts stores will retrieve stored CEL codes for no charge. If you post the code, we might be able to give you an idea what your problem is.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 am

As others have said, Autozone et al read the codes for free.

Autozone also has a OBDII Code reader for like $40 or something, in my opinion its money well spent.

My money is on P1446 or P0440, Evap leak. Or both. :)

t

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:27 am

I bought a CodeKey OBDII code reader from Costco for $20 a few years ago. It has served me very well.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 am

All right, so I'm thinking I will get my own scanner instead of dropping it off at the mechanic and I will post the code so maybe you guys can help me out.

I don't believe the light came on after getting gas.

Evap leak....what the heck does that mean?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:40 am

Evap leak refers to your evap system. It prevents fuel from evaporating and escaping the fuel system. It has a series of valves, hoses, and a canister that sits in your rear driverside bumper which captures the evaporated fuel.

This system also helps control fuel going into the tank. I have a bad vent control valve, which helps prevent fuel from spilling when you are topping off. This is the reason manufacturers always ask you not to top off.

When I fill my truck, and top off the tank, it really doesn't allow me to do this without spilling fuel all over the place. I have a replacement valve sitting in the center console, but have never gotten around to replacing it.

Because this valve is malfunctioning, I get both P1446 Evap system Leak detected and P0440 Gross Evap System leak codes, and drive around with my SES light on most of the time. I check the codes every so often to ensure something else hasn't popped up, so far so good.

I really need to get to fixing that! But the code has been there for the last 5 years or so, and hasn't caused any issues. We don't get smog checked here, if you are in an area that does, having a SES light will cause you to fail smog.

t

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:57 am

disallow wrote:Evap leak refers to your evap system. It prevents fuel from evaporating and escaping the fuel system. It has a series of valves, hoses, and a canister that sits in your rear driverside bumper which captures the evaporated fuel.

This system also helps control fuel going into the tank. I have a bad vent control valve, which helps prevent fuel from spilling when you are topping off. This is the reason manufacturers always ask you not to top off.

When I fill my truck, and top off the tank, it really doesn't allow me to do this without spilling fuel all over the place. I have a replacement valve sitting in the center console, but have never gotten around to replacing it.

Because this valve is malfunctioning, I get both P1446 Evap system Leak detected and P0440 Gross Evap System leak codes, and drive around with my SES light on most of the time. I check the codes every so often to ensure something else hasn't popped up, so far so good.

I really need to get to fixing that! But the code has been there for the last 5 years or so, and hasn't caused any issues. We don't get smog checked here, if you are in an area that does, having a SES light will cause you to fail smog.

t
Great info friend, I have this exact code and will go from there to fix it. Thx

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”