No heat

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

OtterAKL

No heat

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm

2011 Pathfinder LE

Noticed this morning that there is no heat. Blows just fine and I can adjust the fan speed up and down but no heat at all, just cold air.

Any help would be appreciated

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: No heat

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:19 pm

OtterAKL wrote:2011 Pathfinder LE

Noticed this morning that there is no heat. Blows just fine and I can adjust the fan speed up and down but no heat at all, just cold air.

check/adjust coolant levels (radiator & tank) and purge air from system

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:59 pm

eieio wrote:

Any tutorial on how to purge air?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 pm

OtterAKL wrote:
eieio wrote:

Any tutorial on how to purge air?
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ling#51786

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:30 pm

thanks! Just checked the engine coolant reservoir and it is very low. Wondering if this is the issue

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:44 pm

That'll be it! Just follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

Keep an eye on the coolant level for a month or so to ensure you don't have a leak somewhere.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:45 pm

OtterAKL wrote:thanks! Just checked the engine coolant reservoir and it is very low. Wondering if this is the issue
it almost ALWAYS is
if the levels are low, it will probably require "the burp"
be sure to not overfill

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I am not knowledgeable on this issue at all and live downtown in an apt (so no garage or workspace) so I think the best solution is to head to Autozone for the refill procedure. Does that make sense?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:00 pm

OtterAKL wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I am not knowledgeable on this issue at all and live downtown in an apt (so no garage or workspace) so I think the best solution is to head to Autozone for the refill procedure. Does that make sense?
yes & no
as long as they do a proper job of it, it's a good idea
please pardon my skepticism....
in general, I don't trust mechanics

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 pm

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 am

Added coolant last night and that fixed the problem...however, checked this morning and the reservoir is ALREADY low again. It seems the leak is near the reservoir as there have been no engine temp issues at all.

Seems crazy there could be this bad of a leak so suddenly. Going to have to take it in. Thanks for all the help.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 am

I'd probably watch it a bit and see if you keep having to add coolant before taking it to a shop. It could have had air in the system which bled out and then lowered the level in the reservoir. I recently burped mine and had to top it off a couple times before it cleared up. I can't really explain how it gets like this and/or if the coolant is actually leaking or what but I've never had any coolant leak on my garage floor and my oil sample was perfectly fine so it's not mixing there.

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:53 am

skinny2 wrote:I'd probably watch it a bit and see if you keep having to add coolant before taking it to a shop. It could have had air in the system which bled out and then lowered the level in the reservoir. I recently burped mine and had to top it off a couple times before it cleared up. I can't really explain how it gets like this and/or if the coolant is actually leaking or what but I've never had any coolant leak on my garage floor and my oil sample was perfectly fine so it's not mixing there.
Interesting. It's funny you say that because I checked underneath last night and this morning and there was no coolant on the ground at all...will keep the jug in my truck and see what happens.

OtterAKL

Postby OtterAKL » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:20 am

Quick update: it's definitely leaking. Put a piece of cardboard under the truck overnight and noticed several drops. It appears to be leaking directly under the coolant reservoir and not near the radiator.

Also, could be unrelated but since it's in the same area: the windshield washer fluid is not working. There IS fluid as I filled it up, but it is not spraying in the front or back. It seems like there's no pressure.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 am

how cold is it where you are at?

Return to “R51 Electrical”