I am planning on buying a 2005-2006 Pathfinder

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

babyrocky1

I am planning on buying a 2005-2006 Pathfinder

Postby babyrocky1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 am

ok so I am planning on buying a 2005-2006 Pathfinder :D I'm super excited.
my budget is about 11,000 so i'm looking at ones that are 150 000 km and under, looks like most if not all are over 120 000 So my question is because they are in the higher milage range do I still have to worry about the transmission issue? and if I do I've seen there is something to do with the vin # and where they are made should I look for one that was not made in the US?
and other than the transmission is there anything Pathfinder specific I should be looking for?
Last question :) Ive been looking on auto trader and the prices are way different for what looks like the same car some ppl are pricing at 11000 all the way up to 18 000 for pathfinders of the same milage and similar descriptions. is it just some ppl are putting wildly high prices hopping to get the most out of it or are the ones in the 11 000 range bad?? dont know if its relevant but Im in Toronto, Canada

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:16 pm

In the “R51 Miscellaneous” section, smj999smj replied to a similar question:
“Looking 2 buy 05-06 any helpful hints” on 12/1/2012

“...In the R51 generation, the most problems occur on the 05-06 models, followed closely by the 07 models. In 2008, Nissan did a model "refresh" which included making the V8 available and extending the nose slightly to accomodate this. Many of the initial problems were worked out by then, as well, so you would be best off to purchase a 2008-or-later model Pathfinder. The transmission cooler issue can include, according to Nissan, 2005-2010 models. That said, the issue seems to have affected only the 05-07 models and a few 2008s. The "bypass method" was invented to prevent the issue from potentially occuring on those Pathfinders that "might" be affected. The "bypass method" involves re-routing the hoses so that they run only through the auxilary transmission cooler located in front of the A/C condensor and not through the integral cooler located in the bottom tank of the radiator. So, the way to check if it's been done is to simply look at the bottom tank of the radiator and see if there are hoses connected to it. The other option to address this issue is to replace the radiator with the updated Nissan radiator or an aftermarket radiator. As far as performing the "bypass," this can be done by yourself (there are instructions on the forum) or by any auto repair shop. Labor takes about 20-30 minutes.

As far as gas, Nissan states "premium gas recommended for maximum performance," so using regular unleaded is perfectly fine. Personally, I've noticed no difference in performance or mileage using regular versus premium fuel.

LE versus SE, or even SE OFF ROAD, depends on your preferance of options. The LE gives you leather interior, sunroof, Bose, dual mode and rear climate control and Auto-mode four wheel drive standard. The SE's will give you part-time four wheel drive. The SE OFF Road gives the hill climb assist and hill descent control. There are other differences, but those are the major ones. So, if you're looking for a fully-loaded Pathfinder that will see mostly streets and highways, LE will probably be more to your liking. If you're into off-roading, the SE or SE OFF ROAD would be more practical.

The "other" big issue on these vehicles is the upper or "secondary" timing chains wearing through the guides. This will make a "whining" noise and will require replacement of the upper chains and tensioner "feet" as per a TSB on the issue. You can hear the noise on YouTube; just search for Nissan VQ40DE engine noise and you should be able to find a few vids. There are a bunch of issues on the 05-06 models, ranging from bad oil pressure senders to faulty fuel senders, transfer case leaks to squeeky hood latches. They're all listed on the forum. Common mods include replacing the rear shocks with monotube type (ie Bilstein HD or Monroe Reflex) and installing Airlift 1000's to the rear to prevent the "saggy rear" when towing and to also improve the ride...”

Hopefully many of the common problems have been corrected by this age, but I would NEVER, EVER trust the radiator. Too many horror stories where they thought if it was to go it would have done so by this point. Wrong. Big $5-7 mistake. I was proactive in replacing my radiator.

Also look over the section: The Nissan Path Forum Index -> Nissan Transmission FAIL

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 pm

People can ask whatever they want, but what they are actually getting is a whole other thing! Carfax, NADA.com and KBB.com are good to use in determining a fair price in your area. I also recommend you have it thoroughly inspected by an independant shop or dealer of your choice before purchasing; they will offer an unpartial opinion to your purchase and can advise you of problems you may not be aware of. An hour's labor charge can sometimes save you thousands!

babyrocky1

I have looked in the other posts but there are sooo many lol

Postby babyrocky1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:44 pm

The main questions I have that I couldn't figure out are
1. Is there a certain amount of KM's on the pathfinder where it is in the clear for this transmission issue? or could it happen at anytime eg. 200 000 km
2. If it has a vin number saying it wasnt made in the US is it safe from the transmission issue?

and yes I am defiantly going to take it to a mechanic to be looked over. Would it be better to take it to a nissan dealer for inspection or a regular mechanic?
smj999smj wrote:People can ask whatever they want, but what they are actually getting is a whole other thing! Carfax, NADA.com and KBB.com are good to use in determining a fair price in your area. I also recommend you have it thoroughly inspected by an independant shop or dealer of your choice before purchasing; they will offer an unpartial opinion to your purchase and can advise you of problems you may not be aware of. An hour's labor charge can sometimes save you thousands!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 pm

The radiator can fail at any mileage, or not fail at all. It's a crap shoot!

From what I've heard, those Pathfinders made in Spain, which supplies the European market, have not had problems with the radiator. They do have problems with the rear door handles breaking, for whatever reason. But you're not likely going to find a Spain manufactured Pathfinder in North America; those sold new in North American are all made in the US.

nx2000

Postby nx2000 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:22 am

Hi babyrocky1 - I'm in new to the forums also and located just north of the GTA in the Barrie area. Im also looking at similar Pathfinders. Maybe we've looked at the same ones?

I think smj999smj is correct that it's a crap shoot whether or not you get a Pathfinder that does or does not have the tranny problem. A detailed service history is extremely important in this case. If the previous owner or dealership doesn't have meticulous records then walk away. I know this is important to me so I'll be insisting on these for whatever truck I get.

However, if records arent available then the other thing is to set aside money in your budget to immediately change the rad, do tranny flush, and fix other problem areas to bring the truck "up-to-snuff."

Out of curiousity, have you driven any V8 models? There are 3 in the GTA (Milton, Bolton and Brantford). I made the mistake of test driving one and now I really, REALLY want one despite the fact that it's 2x my budget. :)

I know of an excellent Nissan Master Tech in Newmarket who can check out any truck for you if you have any concerns.

Cheers.

parkingpuckguy

Postby parkingpuckguy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

I bought my 2006 Pathfinder LE in April 2012 with 58000 miles on it (US vehicle). It's rugged good looks, options, and, towing capacity got me hooked.

However, since I've bought it I have put just over 30000 miles on it and had the following problems:

Fuel Sending Unit (replaced at Nissan - my cost)
Rear A/C lines (replaced at Nissan - my cost)
Viscous coupler on fan (replaced at Nissan - my cost)
Front Brake Rotors (replaced at Nissan even though the dealership I bought it from had put new aftermarket ones on for the safety - my cost)
Radiator (replaced at Nissan - under warranty)

I've also installed the Air Lift 1000 kit, 7 pin towing harness and connector, and, Silverstar headlights, and, had Nissan replace the serpentine belt and do the radiator bypass (all my cost).

Now, my instrument panel (odometer/trip meter) is starting to crap out.

For what I paid and what I've put into it, I could have bought a 2008 or 2009 and avoided most of this. My advice would be to buy the newest model you can afford.

However, it does everything I ask of it, and if I didn't LOVE this truck so much, I'd be really pissed at it (like my wife is).

Return to “R51 General Chat”