few questions & suggestions on maintenance

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

webmastir

few questions & suggestions on maintenance

Postby webmastir » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 am

i recently bought a 2006 Path SE. It has 90k miles on it.

What would a major maintenance be that I should be saving for?
I'm sure drive belt is due soon? I haven't really taken an in-depth look at the manual yet. I was just hoping for some suggestions first. Thanks.

Also, can the main drive belt be replaced fairly easily?
& Would switching over to full-synthetic be a good idea on this vehicle?
& Is there anything I need to do to expand life of timing chain?(never owned a vehicle with a t-chain before.)

08 pathy

Re: few questions & suggestions on maintenance

Postby 08 pathy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 pm

webmastir wrote:i recently bought a 2006 Path SE. It has 90k miles on it.

What would a major maintenance be that I should be saving for?
I'm sure drive belt is due soon? I haven't really taken an in-depth look at the manual yet. I was just hoping for some suggestions first. Thanks.

Also, can the main drive belt be replaced fairly easily?
& Would switching over to full-synthetic be a good idea on this vehicle?
& Is there anything I need to do to expand life of timing chain?(never owned a vehicle with a t-chain before.)
First thing I would do is change all fluids.
Oil
Transmission
Rear differential fluid
Radiator fluid

Did you buy from a dealer or private seller?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 pm

I agree with 08 pathy. Fluids are the first thing to do. The belt is fairly easy to do. I made my own tool for the tension arm, since it's just under a 1/2" I just filed down a socket extension. Made changing the belt take 5 minutes. Check the brakes to see if you have pad left and the rotors aren't worn to badly. Then check your air filter and pull a spark plug to see the status. Not much else to do other than looking under your rig to check for leaks and loose suspension bits. You don't really need to worry about the timing chain, unless you are hearing a lot of noise. Good luck with your new to you pathy.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:12 pm

thanks for the replies. i bought it from a locally owned certified nissan dealer. i talked with the service manager who pulled the file on my vehicle. the previous owner did all the needed maintenance at their service dept. perfect intervals for oil changes. i also asked what was replaced/fixed before putting it up for sale. they did an alignment & fluid changes & new front brake pads. so i think most of that is done. i have a pic of the front drive belt. i've never seen one look like this. please advise me on if this looks like complete shit or is somewhat normal looking for these vehicles.(see below). i've always thought they should be a black color?

couple more questions, if you don't mind first
full synthetic oil is perfectly fine on these vehicles, right? (nvm used search function :) )
& i constantly saw this in their maint records for this car "oil change + doing something with the rear differential"

what's with 'greasing' or whatever - the rear differential all the time? is this a normal maintenance that needs to be done? (er,sorry..after further searching. i found more info on thistoo)

(hi res image of below pic, here-> http://i.imgur.com/SQMjP.jpg)

also, changed air filter couple weeks ago. i'll switch to k&n air filter next time, after finding out how much a cheap-o (fram etc) ones are (freakin nuts!) i pulled a s.p. (pic below). they seem to be ok still...

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:27 pm

since you have it out change it. plugs i believe are rated for 100k miles.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:24 pm

That gap looks kind of big on the plug. I would definitely change them. If I remember right they are a little bit of a pain to get a tool on. As for the belt, if there are no cracks in the ribs, you are fine. They do get changed every 30k if you do the dealer maintenance. They last much longer though, about twice. Of course the conditions you run in matter in the wear.

johnathanromero

Postby johnathanromero » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:38 pm

not to hi-jack the thread...but the passenger side plugs look like a bitch to pull...do you guys have any suggestions for pulling the coils without having to take part or all of the intake manifold off? BTW plugs for the pathfinder are NOT cheap! i spent $10 a plug for a set of NGK laser Platinum plugs...im partial to NGK and thats all i will ever use in vehicles that i own.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

boogyman wrote:That gap looks kind of big on the plug. I would definitely change them. If I remember right they are a little bit of a pain to get a tool on. As for the belt, if there are no cracks in the ribs, you are fine. They do get changed every 30k if you do the dealer maintenance. They last much longer though, about twice. Of course the conditions you run in matter in the wear.
you think? i thought they looked halfway decent. i'll see if i can get ahold of a feeler gauge to see if they are still what they should be (0.43 IIRC?)
johnathanromero wrote:not to hi-jack the thread...but the passenger side plugs look like a bitch to pull...do you guys have any suggestions for pulling the coils without having to take part or all of the intake manifold off? BTW plugs for the pathfinder are NOT cheap! i spent $10 a plug for a set of NGK laser Platinum plugs...im partial to NGK and thats all i will ever use in vehicles that i own.
it's cool. i agree with you. they look like a BIG PAIN IN THE ASS to get to IMO. our recommended NGK PLFR5A-11's are pre-gapped im assuming, yes?

johnathanromero

Postby johnathanromero » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:31 am

I havent checked the gap on them, when i saw the passenger side i put the plugs back on my work bench and went off roading,lol. I am gonna call nissan today and see how much they are gonna rape me on changing them.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:52 am

johnathanromero wrote:I havent checked the gap on them, when i saw the passenger side i put the plugs back on my work bench and went off roading,lol. I am gonna call nissan today and see how much they are gonna rape me on changing them.
aw you shouldn't give them the satisfaction. do it yourself!! save yourself some $$...unless that's not an issue for you :roll:

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:20 am

It is a pain to change but you can do it. I did it myself and even changed the breather valve. Now that was a challenge, since you are kind of working blind near the passenger side firewall. Get a swivel for the socket and it will make it easier.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:55 am

boogyman wrote:It is a pain to change but you can do it. I did it myself and even changed the breather valve. Now that was a challenge, since you are kind of working blind near the passenger side firewall. Get a swivel for the socket and it will make it easier.
hmm...did you do what the other guy asked? ...did you have to take off the intake manifold just to change the s.p.'s? that's flippin ridiculous if you do.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 am

webmastir wrote:
boogyman wrote:It is a pain to change but you can do it. I did it myself and even changed the breather valve. Now that was a challenge, since you are kind of working blind near the passenger side firewall. Get a swivel for the socket and it will make it easier.
hmm...did you do what the other guy asked? ...did you have to take off the intake manifold just to change the s.p.'s? that's flippin ridiculous if you do.
Nope. That's why you get a swivel, so you don't have to remove more than you really need to. Just use a little finesse. I may have used a flex shaft attachment to get them inserted, just to get the right angle. Like this http://blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/ ... uctID=2873 It's been a while and my memory has never been the best. You can usually get them in screwdriver bit sets at home depot or lowes.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am

aww..ok. thanks for the info man :)

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 pm

aww..ok. thanks for the info man :)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”