Rear Shock Replacement

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

BigPapa

Rear Shock Replacement

Postby BigPapa » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Howzit Everybody!

Great forum you have here, I'm a long time lurker in need of your advice.

I own a 2005 Pathfinder SE 4x2 with 70K miles and no mods. I normally take the Pathy to the dealership to do my oil changes, they informed me that one of my rear shocks was leaking and that I should replace both rear shocks due to the mileage. Their estimate was $360. I plan take it to an independent mechanic to do the work. My question is should I replace it with an aftermarket shock or go with stock? I don't tow or go off road and occasional carry a heavy load.

Mahalo!

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 am

I would go aftermarket with no worries. If you have any basic knowledge of automotive you could also do this yourself and save about $125 labor.

Also, with 70K miles, I would go ahead and replace the shocks all the way around and be done with it

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Rear Shock Replacement

Postby disallow » Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 am

BigPapa wrote:Howzit Everybody!

I own a 2005 Pathfinder SE 4x2 with 70K miles and no mods. I normally take the Pathy to the dealership to do my oil changes, they informed me that one of my rear shocks was leaking and that I should replace both rear shocks due to the mileage. Their estimate was $360. I plan take it to an independent mechanic to do the work. My question is should I replace it with an aftermarket shock or go with stock? I don't tow or go off road and occasional carry a heavy load.

Mahalo!
I picked up Bilsteins from 4x4parts.com for $55 each. Apparently its about 1/2 hour of labor. So $360 sounds a little high!

t

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Wed May 05, 2010 8:26 am

I would definitely go aftermarket. You are gonna get a WAY better deal. For the price you were quoted, you can have all four of them done.

disallow - which bilsteins did you get for the rear? I am looking for a set to go with some OME609 springs. Any recomendations?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 am

I was going to go with the Bilsteins on all 4 corners but I ended up going with the Bilsteins up front and the OME Nitrocharger rear shock beacause of the claim from OME that they are valved specifically for the OME609 springs.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Suspensi ... rs/31.aspx

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 am

SPICOLI wrote:I would definitely go aftermarket. You are gonna get a WAY better deal. For the price you were quoted, you can have all four of them done.

disallow - which bilsteins did you get for the rear? I am looking for a set to go with some OME609 springs. Any recomendations?
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfi ... -5714.html

Went with the standard OE replacement Bilsteins. I don't have a lift or OME on my truck, but do have the Airlift 1000.

To be honest, I still haven't put these shocks on. The bolts are rusted to hell, so I bought new bolts and nuts, but haven't found the time to tackle this yet.

I've been warning my wife for some time now that I will be needing a 'truck day', the way things are shaping up it'll be more like a 'truck week'! Got brakes, some u-joints, repair rust on the rear chrome, trans and diff fluid changes, coolant change, and the shocks.

Budrbean

Re: Rear Shock Replacement

Postby Budrbean » Wed May 05, 2010 10:54 am

disallow wrote:
BigPapa wrote:Howzit Everybody!

Mahalo!
I picked up Bilsteins from 4x4parts.com for $55 each. Apparently its about 1/2 hour of labor. So $360 sounds a little high!

t
Thats a hell of a deal. Advance auto wants like $98 each

mako_gc

Postby mako_gc » Wed May 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi, I am not saying OME or Bilsteins are inferior but I have fitted Ranchos (made in USA) and they are very good, great quality. Try www.trailwerk.com

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Wed May 05, 2010 6:43 pm

mako_gc wrote:Hi, I am not saying OME or Bilsteins are inferior but I have fitted Ranchos (made in USA) and they are very good, great quality. Try www.trailwerk.com

Is your PF lifted, and are the ranchos for the lifted PF

mako_gc

Postby mako_gc » Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 pm

Yes they are quiklift at the front and I have a set of king springs at the back with ranchos 9000,to lift it 2".I also have the "myride" kit fitted this hardens and softens the suspension automatically with a wireless control.[/quote]

mako_gc

Postby mako_gc » Fri May 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Here are some photos of the rear suspension set-up, I have:-Image,Image,Image,Image

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:20 pm

I just ordered a set of rear Bilstein HD's from shockwarehouse.com and found a discount code that took it down to $137 shipped. I'm going to do this in stages starting with the easiest. Rear shocks are a breeze to swap out so that's where I'm starting. I'll likely do the Airlift springs next and then see what it needs.

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu May 27, 2010 7:08 pm

I was disappointed that I needed to replace my rear shocks at 43000Kms - road driven. Just out of warranty - Nissan no help.

I went for the Reflex shock my Munro - $45 each at Pep boys fitted as a special for $18 the pair.

They are gas instead of oil and give a very nice ride and good roll stabilization.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:55 pm

For anyone who's done the rear shocks themselves, how the hell did you get a wrench on the upper nut and bolt?

Getting ready to put Rancho RS9000XL shocks and struts on this weekend. Just getting under the truck, I don't see any way to angle a torque wrench in there in between the arm and stabilizer bar, and I don't have an impact wrench. Let alone get a wrench on it, but the manual calls for 129 ft-lb! I'm really hoping that when I jack up the rear that the suspension travel will open it up.

Was this an issue for anyone? Any tips?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:01 pm

LittleStevie wrote:For anyone who's done the rear shocks themselves, how the hell did you get a wrench on the upper nut and bolt?

Getting ready to put Rancho RS9000XL shocks and struts on this weekend. Just getting under the truck, I don't see any way to angle a torque wrench in there in between the arm and stabilizer bar, and I don't have an impact wrench. Let alone get a wrench on it, but the manual calls for 129 ft-lb! I'm really hoping that when I jack up the rear that the suspension travel will open it up.

Was this an issue for anyone? Any tips?
It's a tight fit, I could get a socket on one side and had to use a combo wrench on the other side. I had to use a pipe on the rachet for leverage. You can only get about an 1/8 of a turn.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”