Rear Shock Replacement

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:19 pm

You might want to hit them with PB Blaster a day or two ahead. It's slow going but as mentioned, I also got a socket on one side and a wrench on the other.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:30 am

So it sounds like a bear, but possible. Not looking forward to it, but thanks for the responses.

rubicon03

Postby rubicon03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 pm

I did change my rears shocks last month, went with bilstein replacement
unit from the US. The stock shocks were completely shot ..... 56 000 km of road driving!!! My service manager told me twice they where still ok.
Now the truck ride like it should, no more bottoming out even when fully charge (six peoples and luggage) and the truck now sit level instead of having it's tail end down

All in all a much improve stance and ride, should have done this in the first year of ownership

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 am

Well, everything did go ok on the shocks/struts. Took about twice as long as I expected (8 hrs), but I'd rather go slow than mess something up. Rear shocks were like others said, not much room to work on the upper bolts but manageable - barely one click of swing on my torque wrench ratchet. For the front, I jacked up both sides at the same time as you need to swing the stabilizer bar down to get to the lower strut bolts...need both wheels off at the same time. Otherwise it was pretty straightforward.

It's hard to give an opinion on the Rancho 9000XL's - I think the original OEM shocks were so worn out that anything would feel worlds better. But ride quality is very much improved and my handling is back. Even my wife in the passenger seat noticed a difference in body roll, and that's saying something. The Pathfinder really does handle well for an SUV with new shocks, decent tires, and the Airlift 1000 on the rear.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”