Pointers on engine and tranny swap

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Kevkev5162

Pointers on engine and tranny swap

Postby Kevkev5162 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Hey all, new to this forum but a member of at least one for every vehicle I own ( new pathy make 8 including bikes) I did some searching and found engine swap write ups and tranny write ups but my situation is a lil different. This weekend I acquired a black 95 pathy, 143k on body, 4wd vg30, auto transmission, loaded and very clean for 180$. Chocolate milk for oil.
I also purchased a 95 Pathfinder 2wd vg30 auto transmission that a baton rouge Mercedes Porsche repair shop had in one of their bays. The owner had rebuilt transmission less than 6 mo ago, then the engine blew. They had the shop order a lkq engine with 62k on it installed it and went through all engine sensors etc thoroughly. Dealership running condition! Then the kid wrapped it around a telephone pole 2 weeks later. Got this one for 400$ looking for tips and whether or not I can pull the engine and tranny as one unit and put in the black body

Kevkev5162

Postby Kevkev5162 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:43 pm

I have read about loosening transfer case, DC axles for more room, TC bolt access through starter hole and dropping the tranny mount with tranny. Has anyone ever pulled the motor and transmission together??

Kevkev5162

Postby Kevkev5162 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:05 pm

The transmission in the good body should be functional but the PO was a kid, both rear tires were bald and it is leaking fluid from somewhere, rather than taking a chance and only swapping the engine I think it's a smart move to swap both and keep the leaking one for a backup

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Having worked for Nissan in the 80's and 90's and having done a lot of engines and transmissions in these vehicles, I would think it would be very difficult to remove the engine and trans in one assembly. It'll be a lot of weight hanging off the end of the engine and you would have to get it at a pretty steep angle and have a pretty high hoist to get it out. Your best bet is to do them separately. If the 4x4 is an automatic, you don't have to do anything with the front axle nor the shafts. Remove the hood. As tight as it looks with the oil pan between the axle and transmission, the engine will lift straight out of the engine bay without any problem. If it was a manual trans, then the front axle would have to be lowered out of the way or removed for clearance. The torsion bars will have to be loosened and disconnected and removed with the crossmember to which they anchor in order to remove the trans. The exhaust will need to be taken out of the way, as well. Make sure you make marks on the torsion bars to help you reinstall them in the correct locations. The ride height and alignment will need to be checked and adjusted when your finished.

Kevkev5162

Postby Kevkev5162 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks! Forming a plan of attack this week and will get started next weekend. Both are auto transmission. The donor is 2wd, the good body is 2wd. I read a post that said the FSM is useless and stick to the forums for diy advice, I'll probably order one anyway to have on hand by next weekend

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:29 pm

You don't have to order a service manual; you can download them off the web for free. The link below has loose sections of the FSM, including the "Engine Mechanical" section. Nico Club's site has full, downloadable manuals, so you mite try there, as well.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/24/

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”